Thread: Syncing Firefox and iTunes between Vista and Ubuntu on dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Syncing Firefox and iTunes between Vista and Ubuntu on dual boot

Hi

Ive installed Ubuntu Hardy on my Vista using the new 'install like an app' option. Is there any way to sync firefox (extensions, addons, themes, history, bookmarks, etc...) and itunes (the whole library, i hv the mp3s and flac in the My Music folder on Vista)?...

Cheers
    Vyder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Syncing Firefox and iTunes between Vista and Ubuntu on dual boot

Well how exactly are you running everything? Using iTunes in Vista and Firefox in Ubuntu I'm guessing? I tried to get music in from Ubuntu in iTunes on Vista with no luck because for some reason all the Ubuntu directory is hidden or something to Vista. And with Firefox, you cannot use the extensions interchangably, because some are made to suit the Ubuntu friendly version of Firefox(and I'm not stating this as gospel, it's simply what I've witnessed).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

first Vista cannot natively see Linux files without help. You cant exactly sync the bookmarks but you can export your links between version with little hassle. Just look under hte bookmark tab for manage bookmarks. and save the file you create to a flash drive or somewhere ubuntu can see.

As for iTunes there is no Linux version, but there are apps that can read and play mp3 just fine including keeping liibraries, like amorok, banshee, rhythmbox, and exaile. Note they cant play itune DRMed music. If you really want to use itunes supposedly it can work with WINE, but I never tried it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I used iTunes on Wine and had the biggest problem with it. Firstly, it depends on which version you install (I think 7.2.1 was the version you could use). Secondly, if you try to sync your iPod(I have a Classic 80GB) sometimes it hangs or just doesn't move. The files don't show up in the browser once you close the program and reopen it(which I'm guessing is because of how Wine works and it makes the directory reset to Windows-like directory). You couldn't right-click and change the info to the song. Luckily, you can import the iTunes library folder, but all the songs come up as not found because when installing Ubuntu Live CD it creates /host in front of the mp3 files original directory(I don't know if you're using Live CD or dual-boot) .

Now do not be discouraged though, because unfortunately with there being so many different ways to install Ubuntu and the different program options(like Compiz and all playing a role in the GUI experience) and everything, my results may not be consistent with others, so definitely give it a go and see how it works for you.

Good luck and if it works, pass the info along to me, because maybe I'll retry it myself.