Thread: Wireless with WPA/WEP doesn't work

Beans

Wireless with WPA/WEP doesn't work

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 with Vista dual bootable on my laptop Dell Vostro 1500. The installation went smoothly, thanks to all the forum posts.

However, I'm having difficult to make my wireless work with WPA enabled home network. I tried to adjust the route with no security, with WPA, or with WEP enabled choices, and get the following result:
    1. Wireless worked under Vista with no security, with WPA enabled, or with WEP enabled, without any issue.
    2. I installed ndiswrapper according to forum posts. Under Ubuntu, it can connect using wired connection, or wireless connection without any security.
    3. Then I started adding wireless security. My route is configured using WPA-TKIP. I used network manager to type in pwd, it just tried to connect, but failed acquiring IP address.
    4. I tried the method from sticky post "Wireless Security - WPA1, WPA2, LEAP, etc. ", I installed wpa-supplicant, manually config interface file, restart networking, reboot, still no luck.
    5. I then tried install wicd package. It has very nice gui, but still no connect to WPA wireless network.
    6. I changed route setting from WPA to WEP, and repeated step 3,4,5, same result: can't connect as long as wireless is encryption enabled.

I've tried all methods and read all posts in the past 2 days.
    Now I exhausted all ideas after I tried all ways from forum and online search. Please, Any help/suggestions/comments is highly welcome!

Beans

Re: Wireless with WPA/WEP doesn't work

By the way, the wireless scanning can find all hotspots around, but can't connect to any WPA/WEP enabled network.

lspci:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01)

iwconfig:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=5/5 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=0 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth0 no wireless extensions.

iwlist scanning
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:12:A9:CF:8D:F2
    ESSID:"the essid"
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
    Quality:2/5 Signal level:-76 dBm Noise level:-30 dBm
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher : WEP-104
    Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Its becoming apparent to me that wireless networking in linux is FUBAR.

Ive got mine working with the Network Manager GUI - but only until the next reboot. Then its change the WPA setting and re enter the passkey phrase.

Hundreds of threads - no real solutions other than ...

No WAP2 / No static IP's and no Linksys or Broadcom chipsets

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tigin thanks for that link ...

I had seen that already but - am looking to not add windows to this system - seems like a hack?

So is what the linux community telling me as a new ubuntu user ... That if you want to effectively run Wireless Networking securly in Linux - you need to install "Windows software"?

very very confusing ....

Beans

Thanks for all the reply.
    One thing confused me is some people in the forum says no problem with WPA wireless while others has even using similar chipset and configuration.
    Anyway I can see more detailed log information to figure out why no IP acquiring from the route while using WPA?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tigin View Post
    guys i d try this how-to , it is the last one on forums seems like promising

/cheers

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=112526
    went through the process again, still no luck
    Wifi indicator lights on, signal is strong 100%, but just can't connect. So frustrating. Any suggestions?

Beans

Thanks for the reply and tips. I tried again according to the step by step instruction, started with removing all preinstalled stuff.
    Somehow, I managed to connect wireless with WEP, but still no luck with wireless with WPA.
    For now, I just changed my route from WPA to WEP so that I can use this laptop. However, I still have no idea why one works while the other way doesn't. It costs me three days to get at least something working....
    seems like if ubuntu wants to gain more popularity, it really needs to improve its network handling. Other than that, it's a charm to install it...much faster than vista installation.