Thread: My weird wireless connection ritual

Beans

My weird wireless connection ritual

So, I installed my wireless adapter and was able to connect to my router using WPA2 security. It basically just worked .. yay, Ubuntu! (I'm on Gutsy.)

But every time I booted, I got network-manager's "Passphrase required" screen, so I noodled around to try to get it to remember my passphrase. And that sort of worked ... Now here's the weird part.

Every time I boot, I still get that "Passphrase required" screen. I just hit escape, and then click on the n-m icon and select my essid -- it connects and then immediately disconnects. Then, I do it again, and it connects fine.

That's my ritual: escape, connect, connect. Works every time. But why ...? How do I make it just connect when I boot?

Bubba64 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: My weird wireless connection ritual

Quote Originally Posted by sharp11 View Post
    So, I installed my wireless adapter and was able to connect to my router using WPA2 security. It basically just worked .. yay, Ubuntu! (I'm on Gutsy.)

But every time I booted, I got network-manager's "Passphrase required" screen, so I noodled around to try to get it to remember my passphrase. And that sort of worked ... Now here's the weird part.

Every time I boot, I still get that "Passphrase required" screen. I just hit escape, and then click on the n-m icon and select my essid -- it connects and then immediately disconnects. Then, I do it again, and it connects fine.

That's my ritual: escape, connect, connect. Works every time. But why ...? How do I make it just connect when I boot?
    Here is a solution and explanation I gave somebody else yesterday it sounds like your running the network manager with roam.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=831050
    Note the restart after setting the manual to get it to work, if you set everything up correctly.

Beans

Re: My weird wireless connection ritual

Thanks, but inputting my settings manually into network-manager is basically what I did already. It does remember them, sort of ...

Bubba64 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: My weird wireless connection ritual

Quote Originally Posted by sharp11 View Post
    Thanks, but inputting my settings manually into network-manager is basically what I did already. It does remember them, sort of ...
    So if you run the network manager on manual is a password prompt coming up. The funny thing is that the wired pat of the manager has a roam setting as well, I always set it, to roam on a new install then start the process of the manual wireless and get things working immediately, but I have a external wireless card that worked out of the box. I am curious of what you mean by the sort of.