Thread: There seems to be so many hardware problems with Ubuntu software... makes me nervous

Beans

There seems to be so many hardware problems with Ubuntu software... makes me nervous

There seems to be endless and endless problems with ubuntu and various hardware.

is there any way to go about building a computer WITHOUT having technical issues?

Or is there always going to be issues problema and bugs?

It almost makes me not want to get my feet wet as I may fall in over my head...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: There seems to be so many hardware problems with Ubuntu software... makes me nerv

The reason there are so many hardware problems is because hardware vendors generally only support Windows.

For laptops, if you want to have a nice working Ubuntu machine with no hassle setting it up at all, I would recommend looking at the vendors that sell pre-installed Ubuntu machines (Dell and System76) and going with one of those. I would also recommend sticking to intel graphics and intel wireless as they are the best supported (graphics and wireless are the source of the majority of problems people have with hardware).

For building a desktop, just ignore the fact that you are going to install Ubuntu on it. Find exactly what you want and then google for "linux thing_you_want", "ubuntu thing_you_want" and "ubunut hardy thing_you_want". That should give you an idea of how well the hardware is supported on Ubuntu and whether it's worth buying.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: There seems to be so many hardware problems with Ubuntu software... makes me nerv

Ya most of the companys who produce the hardware make it for windows...... That however I think will change over time. If you want my opinion there are a few online websites who sell computers set up for linux umm check them out see what the specs are on them and see if you can match them....... Laptops seem to be more picky with hardware since alot of things inside laptops are made for them only them and windows lol.....

Hope this helped???