Thread: [SOLVED] FlightGear x86_64 install...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] FlightGear x86_64 install...?

I tried the straight install from the repo., and it installed nicely, but when I enter the game, the screen blinks...this leads me to believe that the repo. version doesn't play well with 64 bit Ubuntu. I have the .tar.gz files downloaded to install, but I have no idea how to do it. I tried installing plib from the directions on the site, but they never worked, yes I pointed to the directory in terminal, and did the instructions. It went through fine until I wanted to "make install", then it said something about no target, I think...I have all the necessary files to build from source, but I don't know how to do it. Yes I have direct rendering enabled, I have a 512mb dedicated graphics card on my laptop, and I checked in terminal to see if it was on, check, in menu, check. so....
    Last edited by L337_K3y5; June 23rd, 2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Needed to add how to remove fgfs-base question. {Scratch that}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: FlightGear x86_64 install...?

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [SOLVED] FlightGear x86_64 install...?

I am also having an issue with Flightgear. I've tried from the repos i.e "sudo apt-get install flightgear". It installs without an error, when I run it - it goes to initializing subsystems and then stops. I've also tried compiling from source - to only result in the same issue. I've tried changing display modes, XGL , Compiz off etc. I've read the entire man page of the app, and also googled for almost damn near 6 hours now.It also nicely tells me I have a segmentation fault with either install and run method. I've tried to install lib pkgs with no change "fgfs --log-level=debug" yields lots of information about what it's loading and then suddenly stops after loading joystick information, so I removed those files one at a time, but it continues to just stop after the last one on the list.

On a side note to vent some frustration publicly - it's terribly disappointing when it's harder for me to get some Linux application running then it is for me to use wine for my windows applications........ I know that yes, I'm not the most experienced with Linux however when I download something that says "works on XP", it always works...and granted 90% of .debs I use work without issue and for this I am grateful. It's just so terribly frustrating being a gamer and using Linux. Sure there's a lot of stuff out there to play, but as I said lately I'm having tremendous issues with "native" Linux applications(I should probably say "Games"). I'm going to attempt more work on this today.

Also, I love how this says "Solved" when I'm having a big issue with this, and I don't even know how the above poster actually fixed his.
    Using Nvidia drivers...using a damn near clean Ubuntu Hardy 64 install, (clean meaning I haven't really messed around with the inner workings some applications here and there.) I'm sorry to ramble a bit here, I just don't want to hear some follow up like "Is your computer on?", or "Just use Windows then." Because that's not what I'm posting about. Also, and quite oddly (which makes me think I MUST be doing something wrong is that people say "Works fine for me". Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    If it isn't broken, let's fix it anyways. What else are we going to do, seriously?