I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on one of my office PC that had WinXP earlier. I'm having trouble getting its hostname registered with our DNS server. Any help will be appreciated.
I have following lines in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:
I tried changing <hostname> above with real one (that too didn't work) but later after browsing forums I found that keeping <hostname> too should work.
send host-name "<hostname>";
send fqdn.server-update on;
I added second line on my own.
I removed hostname from request line, but nothing worked.
nslookup still says NXDOMAIN
Network setup seems good as I'm able to share data with other machines on network.
- I do not have any control over DNS server.
- Our IT support team do not support Ubuntu, it is difficult to get help from there.
I have a laptop with WinXP installed, Here is how it is configured:
- IP address: automatic (DHCP enabled)
- DNS address: automatic
- Default gateways: none
- Append DNS suffixes (in order):
- Register this connections's address to DNS: checked
- NetBIOS: default