Thread: Should we use antivirus or something ?

Beans

Should we use antivirus or something ?

Should Should we use antivirus software or something ? Because I heart that there are some open source antivirus and firewall softwares ... ?!! Maybe some people is making virus...How do we know that ? It is possible ...
    Also I have install my friend ubuntu 8 . He use just aMSN, firefox, open office and he listen musics . AT the beginning everything was fine,but after 2 weeks he start to call me for problems. He is sure that he didn't do anything else . If he didn't do something else how the problems started ?
    The problems are : Firefox was very slow ... aMSN can't connected... Sometimes at the beginning when he log in about 5 minutes cpu works %100 ... Sometimes ubuntu didn't shut down...
    (He did not use two operation system. He use just ubuntu . I had everything delete...)
    Now I have installed ubuntu 8 .. But I couldn't install my driver ( If you can help me ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=831789 ) If I can connect internet , should I install firewall or something ?
    Thanks

Beans

Re: Should we use antivirus or something ?

Here is a Free GPL, generic Linux virus scanner for you. Copy this to a file in /usr/local/bin and make it executable, then link it from /etc/cron.hourly:

#! /bin/bash
    echo Generic virus scanner for Linux.
    echo Copyright reserved Herman 2008, GPL.
    sleep 10
    echo Do you really want to scan the disk?
    sleep 5
    echo are you sure?
    sleep 7
    echo Really, really sure?
    sleep 5
    echo Scanning...
    sleep 10
    echo Analyzing...
    sleep 20
    echo Thinking...
    sleep 10
    echo Almost done...
    sleep 600
    echo Drum roll!!!
    sleep 10
    echo Wait for it...
    echo 30
    echo No viruses found!!!
    sleep 5
    echo Done
    exit 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: Should we use antivirus or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Here is a Free GPL, generic Linux virus scanner for you. Copy this to a file in /usr/local/bin and make it executable, then link it from /etc/cron.hourly:

#! /bin/bash
    echo Generic virus scanner for Linux.
    echo Copyright reserved Herman 2008, GPL.
    sleep 10
    echo Do you really want to scan the disk?
    sleep 5
    echo are you sure?
    sleep 7
    echo Really, really sure?
    sleep 5
    echo Scanning...
    sleep 10
    echo Analyzing...
    sleep 20
    echo Thinking...
    sleep 10
    echo Almost done...
    sleep 600
    echo Drum roll!!!
    sleep 10
    echo Wait for it...
    echo 30
    echo No viruses found!!!
    sleep 5
    echo Done
    exit 0

Hilarious!!!! hahahhaha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Should we use antivirus or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by sowhat12345 View Post
    Should Should we use antivirus software or something ? Because I heart that there are some open source antivirus and firewall softwares ... ?!! Maybe some people is making virus...How do we know that ? It is possible ...
    No need. Virus is a Windows animal. No virus for Ubuntu, I am actively tring to find one,... plz share if you have it. (You might have Windows virus in your data that you copied from Windows but they will be harmless in Linux)

Also I have install my friend ubuntu 8 . He use just aMSN, firefox, open office and he listen musics . AT the beginning everything was fine,but after 2 weeks he start to call me for problems. He is sure that he didn't do anything else . If he didn't do something else how the problems started ?
    The problems are : Firefox was very slow ... aMSN can't connected... Sometimes at the beginning when he log in about 5 minutes cpu works %100 ... Sometimes ubuntu didn't shut down...
    (He did not use two operation system. He use just ubuntu . I had everything delete...)
    aMSN gives connection errors, use Pidgin. Firefox is fast unless you screw up and install uncompatable extensions. Disable all extensions and then check. CPU usage should never be 100% (How did you check CPU utilization?) May be your CPU utilization reading were wrong... else your friend computer was damn slow and he is running full desktop effects!

Now I have installed ubuntu 8 .. But I couldn't install my driver ( If you can help me ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=831789 ) If I can connect internet , should I install firewall or something ?
    Thanks
    Agreed driver issue is their for the time being. Make sure you have a linux compatable hardware.

Regards and the best of luck.

PS: You can check out here how to customize your Ubuntu: http://www.attari.net/index.php?My_s...omizing_Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

He almost certainly has installed a firefox plugin or extension that's caused issues. Flash is a common one that can peg firefox at 100% fairly easily.

No experience with amsn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although a virus for Linux is extremely unlikely, you might want to consider something for occasional use to double check files that you get from elsewhere and might want to pass on to Windows users. Some ISPs write it into their terms of service not to pass nasty things on.....It's more a matter of courtesy than necessity.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

antivirus is not needed.. I'm of the opinion that it is each user's own responsability to make sure they are safe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

An antivirus is not needed, but I sometimes share work files with windowians. so I installed Avast Free, I have the disk space and it does not run in the background, so why not. But, except for some proof of concept malware that may or may not exist, you could download any of the in the wild MS killing viri, and it would do nothing since it can not execute, Sort of like a great white shark stranded on a beach: it looks dangerous, but is pretty harmless.