View Poll Results: Was this post useful to you?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 85.19%
  • No

4 14.81%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Compaq 6720s and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - a (hopefully) complete guide...

Beans

Re: HP Compaq 6720s and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - a (hopefully) complete guide...

UBUNTU EATS YOUR HARD DISK

Put 99-hdd-spin-fix.sh into

/etc/acpi/suspend.d/
    /etc/acpi/resume.d/
    /etc/acpi/start.d/
    Just like to remark, that ubuntu hardy / 8.04 uses pm-utils package for suspend/hibernation.

The corresponding files are located in

Code:
    /etc/pm/sleep.d/
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/
    Therfore you should put your script into /etc/sleep.d/ instead.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.
    Greet's Axel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HP Compaq 6720s and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - a (hopefully) complete guide...

I changed the boot splash to the fingerprint usplash, and i have no shut down progress bar.... even with this new usplash... Don't know why... and some times i have WL all over the shutdown... i can take a pic of that for you can see it.

I noticed that using compiz-fusion sometimes making right click the menu box appears but it is filled with color lines, and a fraction pf a second later the menu appears normally... i noticed this also with the entire window of evolution mail... sometimes it last for half a second... may be a problem with the video driver? buffer? thanks for everything....

Also noticed that the click sound of mi hard drive is not gone.... it makes like 2 or 3 per session... (3 or 4 hours)...

The sound is like openning the CD drive... it makes a high pitch sound like something is released. Ovbiously is not that loud... and it may it depends on what CD drive you have to think in a good comparison... but it reminds me that...

Any suggestion thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: HP Compaq 6720s and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - a (hopefully) complete guide...

Quote Originally Posted by apos View Post
    Just like to remark, that ubuntu hardy / 8.04 uses pm-utils package for suspend/hibernation.

The corresponding files are located in

Code:
    /etc/pm/sleep.d/
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/
    Therfore you should put your script into /etc/sleep.d/ instead.

Please correct me, if I am wrong.
    Greet's Axel
    I guess I must study this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ils/+bug/59695 and this: http://en.opensuse.org/Disk_Power_Management

I'll see what I can do when I've got time to do it... What do you know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by sroland81 View Post
    I changed the boot splash to the fingerprint usplash, and i have no shut down progress bar.... even with this new usplash... Don't know why... and some times i have WL all over the shutdown... i can take a pic of that for you can see it.
    Is the same to me with a totally different machine... If you search on launchpad you'll find that is a bug of the "startupmanager" package, not of the laptop.

I noticed that using compiz-fusion sometimes making right click the menu box appears but it is filled with color lines, and a fraction pf a second later the menu appears normally... i noticed this also with the entire window of evolution mail... sometimes it last for half a second... may be a problem with the video driver? buffer? thanks for everything....
    The X3100 video card actually has some issues that have not been solved. I've read it has been solved for Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. I hope it will be solved for Hardy too... You can find more info here https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/120834

Also noticed that the click sound of mi hard drive is not gone.... it makes like 2 or 3 per session... (3 or 4 hours)...

The sound is like openning the CD drive... it makes a high pitch sound like something is released. Ovbiously is not that loud... and it may it depends on what CD drive you have to think in a good comparison... but it reminds me that...

Any suggestion thanks...
    Mmm, try this on terminal and see if it works:

In terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install laptop-mode
    Thern:

Code:
    sudo laptop-mode start
    Now let's cofigure it_

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf
    it gotta look like this:

Code:
    # Enable laptop mode when on battery power.
    ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_ON_BATTERY=1

# Enable laptop mode when on AC power.
    ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_ON_AC=1
    If it doesn't work try this:

Code:
    sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
    and see if it works.

Please let me know which method works better for you.

have a nice day
    Last edited by slayer^_^; June 17th, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: corrected infos
    "He's the kind of guy you go out with to split a bottle with a friend. I'm the kind of guy you go out with to split a friend with a bottle..." David Lee Roth
    http://www.bellavistabeb.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

any way to get 6720s's modem working?
    - ^root^, Error404NotFound, sleeping`dragon, |404NotFound| on irc.freenode.net
    Blog | Company | @err404notfound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Re: HP Compaq 6720s and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - a (hopefully) complete guide...

ah........ I never thought about the 56k modem!

I'll see what I can do...
    "He's the kind of guy you go out with to split a bottle with a friend. I'm the kind of guy you go out with to split a friend with a bottle..." David Lee Roth
    http://www.bellavistabeb.net

Beans

This how to is great, i was breaking my head with trying to get my broadcom card to work, but with no luck after 2 days and 500mb of download. Thats when i stumbled on this document, it hardly took me 5 minutes and my wireless was working with the ndiswrapper package.

You are the Dude man.. !!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

... try to unlock the "proposed" repository and do a full update of Hardy. Then install the package b43-fwcutter. It has been reported that working drivers have been put there. Just if this doesn't work go forward.
    When I upgraded to Hardy, this was all done easily and my wireless card was up and running in 5 minutes. All seemed a bit too easy after wracking my brain for months with Gutsy. Excellent, worked almost 'out of the box'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

New about my WL that i talked before. A couple of weeks ago, i plugged a LCD TFT flat external monitor in my laptop and everything was delicious. I had fingerprint usplash in both monitors at the same time... and when the sesion started, the external went off and i logged in. Then went to the nVidia X server settings and enabled the external monitor in the TwinView mode and i had dual desktop... a 2-monitor sized desktop... very useful. Then (the relevant thing), when shutdown, in the laptop screen the WL appeared as usual, BUT the fingerprint usplash of shutdown was shown beautiful in the external LCD monitor that i had plugged!!! so, i guess this may help....

Thanks,

Santiago.-

Beans

I bought a 6720s a couple of days ago and installed Hardy (8.04.1, KDE4 edition) on it. I decided to post my experiences here, just to summarize the current state of affairs on this hardware. But first of all, many thanks to Slayer and others in this thread, it was a great help!

- I used the Alternate CD; had to boot it with vga=791
    - my model shipped with an Intel wifi, which worked out of the box
    - Intel X3100 video worked without problems, I did not have to use the tricks mentioned on the first page under "Correct allocation of video memory". Composite effects in KDE4 work beautifully.
    - I still had to use the fix for "Closing the lid makes your system freeze"
    - I also applied the "Ubuntu eats your hard disk" fix, but I am experimenting with
    Code:
    hdparm -B 200 -S 252 /dev/sda
    which is mentioned on the Opensuse page linked in by Slayer. I am not experiencing more Load_Cycle_Counts this way than with power management turned off completely (-B 255).

- there was a problem with changing lcd brightness. I could change it with fn+F7/F8, but in a few seconds it was restored to 100%, even when running on battery. I found Bug 201933 about a similar problem with the i915 chipset which has been fixed, but not on i960/i965 the hp6720s has. The fix suggested in the last comment on the bug helped:
    Code:
    echo "blacklist video" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    - it's probably not related to the laptop, but something strange happened with grub. Windows Vista was pre-installed, I left it on the machine and shrinked its partition (in the Kubuntu installer). For a while, everything worked, I could boot both systems. Then grub began refusing to boot Vista (or: Vista began refusing to be booted by grub ), the error message from grub being "Selected item can not fit into memory". I changed root to rootnoverify in Vista' menu.lst entry and the problem went away. I'm still unsure what caused it; I don't remember changing anything related to grub when it appeared.

That's for now. All in all, I am very satisfied with how this laptop functions under linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks pleusicles the
    Code:
    echo "blacklist video" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    line fixed my brightness and also closing the lid problem...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast