Thread: Grub or rEFIT or both?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Grub or rEFIT or both?

I've got a triple boot system set up and would like to boot all three from the same boot menu, either grub or rEFIt or both.

As it stands I can boot Kubuntu or OS X from rEFIT, or I can boot Kubuntu and OpenBSD from Grub. I cannot (yet) boot OpenBSD from rEFIt. I cannot (yet) boot OS X from Grub.

1) My OS X partition is mountable from within kubuntu as /dev/sda2 as hfsplus (using hfsprogs package) What do I add to /boot/grub/menu.lst to be able to boot OS X?

2) If I have just OpenBSD and OS X, then rEFIT lets me choose either. Once Kubuntu is added to the mix, I have to get to grub via rEFIt and then OpenBSD via Grub. What can I change (and how) to rEFIt to get all three systems in the graphical menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Grub or rEFIT or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I've got a triple boot system set up and would like to boot all three from the same boot menu, either grub or rEFIt or both.

As it stands I can boot Kubuntu or OS X from rEFIT, or I can boot Kubuntu and OpenBSD from Grub. I cannot (yet) boot OpenBSD from rEFIt. I cannot (yet) boot OS X from Grub.

1) My OS X partition is mountable from within kubuntu as /dev/sda2 as hfsplus (using hfsprogs package) What do I add to /boot/grub/menu.lst to be able to boot OS X?

2) If I have just OpenBSD and OS X, then rEFIT lets me choose either. Once Kubuntu is added to the mix, I have to get to grub via rEFIt and then OpenBSD via Grub. What can I change (and how) to rEFIt to get all three systems in the graphical menu?
    you need to install the respective bootloaders to their partitions rather than over writing each of them with the other. For example, install grub to the Ubuntu partition, then rEFIt will launch that install of grub for Ubuntu (which you can edit to a very low delay). I don't know what kind of bootloader OpenBSD uses or if you can install it to the root partition, but as long as you keep it separate from the Ubuntu bootloader, you will have a unique boot option in rEFIt.

Beans
    Distro

Not overwritten, both operate

Both are working. So as far as I can tell nothing is overwritten. However, when booting the choices are like this:

rEFIt
    |
    +-> OS X
    |
    +-> Linux (which is really Grub)
    | |
    | Grub
    | |
    | +-> Kubuntu
    | |
    | +-> OpenBSD
    | |
    | +-> ! OS X
    |
    +->!OpenBSD

So in other words, I can boot all three systems, just not through a single menu. I'd like to use a single menu, either Grub's or rEFTit's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Not overwritten, both operate

just turn the timeout down in grub. You need rEFIt to do what you want, and you have to use grub (or some other bootloader like lilo) to load the Linux kernel.

Beans
    Distro

menu.lst

How do I set grub to allow OS X booting? It's on /dev/sda2

The non-Linux partitions are labeled thusly in /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title OpenBSD
    root (hd0,2)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

title OS X
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

The OpenBSD option works. The OS X gives the error below:

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
    Press any key to continue...

parted gives the following:

Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
    1 20.5kB 210MB 210MB fat32 EFI System Partition boot
    2 210MB 27.1GB 26.8GB hfs+ OSX
    3 27.2GB 32.6GB 5369MB OpenBSD
    4 32.6GB 40.1GB 7516MB ext3 Kubuntu
    5 40.1GB 118GB 77.8GB hfs+ Apple_HFSX_Untitled_2
    6 118GB 120GB 2000MB linux-swap Swap
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; May 25th, 2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added parted output

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: menu.lst

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format
    Press any key to continue...
    I'm pretty sure that you will not be able to use GRUB to boot OS X. GRUB uses the MBR (Master Boot Record) to boot, but OS X (on Intel) uses EFI. The best you could do is for every non-OS X operating system, install GRUB to the root partition of that OS rather than the default of installing it to the MBR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: menu.lst

Quote Originally Posted by bcr88 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you will not be able to use GRUB to boot OS X. GRUB uses the MBR (Master Boot Record) to boot, but OS X (on Intel) uses EFI. The best you could do is for every non-OS X operating system, install GRUB to the root partition of that OS rather than the default of installing it to the MBR.
    yep, that is what I was trying to say. rEFIt is not a bootloader, it is just a fancy menu system for EFI. Unfortunately, you cannot boot Ubuntu from EFI directly because you need a bootloader that will load the kernel into memory. This is what grub does for you. If you only want to see rEFIt then turn the delay on Grub down to like 2 seconds and you wil never even notice it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I'm learning tricks with Grub now.

Beans

Maybe this post is useful for you. It explains single boot, but it may be possible to configure Apple EFI firmware to boot both Kubuntu and BSD (it boots osx anyway). I haven't tried triple setup, but experiment with 'bless' and let us know.