Thread: File sharing via wireless network.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

File sharing via wireless network.

Currently I'm running Windows xp on a desktop and Ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop. I've got them sharing an internet connection through a Linksys WRT54G wireless router and I'm wondering how to set up file sharing between the computers.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Root Using in the Pennsyltuckian hinterlands since 06, still only opens emacs to look for it's easter eggs.

Beans

Re: File sharing via wireless network.

to share files on ubuntu to a windows pc you have to install samba http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/...-in-linux.html and to share files on xp to ubuntu you need to enable file sharing http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...p_filesharing/

Beans

I was surprised this wasn't a common feature. I think having a wireless router with the main computer wired and wireless devices like PS3, laptop and others is pretty common. Any advice you can give to us newbies would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SWT_nux View Post
    I was surprised this wasn't a common feature. I think having a wireless router with the main computer wired and wireless devices like PS3, laptop and others is pretty common. Any advice you can give to us newbies would be greatly appreciated.

Hi SWT_nux,

Did you try to posted advice/instructions re: SAMBA etc.? If so, did it work? It sounds like I have an almost identical setup as yours, and I also am trying to enable filesharing (XP desktop <-> Ubuntu laptop via Lynksys router). Right now I'm just e-mailing files back and forth which is not optimal...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Beans

Smile Re: File sharing via wireless network.

I read the links from superprash2003's post (thanks superprash2003!), and I roughly followed those instructions. I just added Samba as an application from the Applications menu, then added a "Share" folder using Samba (System > Administration > Samba), set the access for that share to a particular user, then added that user under Samba > preferences > Samba users, and added the Windows username (I got this from XP: [pc name]\Guest) and a new password, then went to Network places in XP, added a network place, chose another network location ("\\[Ubuntu laptop IP]\[Ubuntu "share" name, set in Samba]", drop the brackets). XP asked for my password and successfully opened the share folder on my Ubuntu laptop. I shot off my firewalls during all of this, but turning them back on had no effect (I still had access).

Beans

Talking Re: File sharing via wireless network.

Quote Originally Posted by dps77 View Post
    I read the links from superprash2003's post (thanks superprash2003!), and I roughly followed those instructions. I just added Samba as an application from the Applications menu, then added a "Share" folder using Samba (System > Administration > Samba), set the access for that share to a particular user, then added that user under Samba > preferences > Samba users, and added the Windows username (I got this from XP: [pc name]\Guest) and a new password, then went to Network places in XP, added a network place, chose another network location ("\\[Ubuntu laptop IP]\[Ubuntu "share" name, set in Samba]", drop the brackets). XP asked for my password and successfully opened the share folder on my Ubuntu laptop. I shot off my firewalls during all of this, but turning them back on had no effect (I still had access).

Ok, I misspoke-- I subsequently had to add the respective IP's for each other's firewalls. Once I did that, everything worked fine.