Thread: [SOLVED] Network not detected by Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] Network not detected by Ubuntu

I have been using Ubuntu 7.10 for quite sometime (three months) with everything working. Suddenly, the network (dsl) is no longer detected. I have tested the cable and modem on another computer and it works. I typed lspci and I see a listing for ethernet controller. I also noticed that the light (on the back of the computer) does not come on when I plug in the network cable into the ethernet port. Any help you can provide would be appreciate.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Network not detected by Ubuntu

Can you test the wireless card in another computer entirely? Or lacking that, remove the power cord to the faulty computer, open the box, ground yourself electrically and remove the card. Clean the gold "fingers" with somebodies business card. Reinstall the card. Button the box up. Reattach the power cord LAST. Power up. If it fails, you may need a new card. Rare, but I bought a card that was bad out of the box and it took me a few days to find that out.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Network not detected by Ubuntu

Thanks for the quick response.

I actually opened the box already to install a new card from an old computer that is out of commission. I put the new card in, but upon powering up, everything worked well on the original card. Maybe it had to do with completely powering off and discharging the computer which helped to reset it (I could be just making this up). Nonetheless, the old and new card are in working order. At least I now have a backup whenever the old card goes haywire.

Thanks again.