Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup synce gvfs in Hardy to be able to browse WM in Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How to setup synce gvfs in Hardy to be able to browse WM in Hardy

As most know, Nautilus now uses gvfs rather than gnome-vfs thus synce-gnome will not work in Hardy. So, Mark Ellis graciously created synge-gvfs which will allow us to browse our windows mobile devices via Nautilus. Here are some instructions I found written by him with some slight changes by me:

1) Follow instructions at http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu to install synce and test basic functionality. Note that you can install synce-hal rather than odccm if you want.

2) Make sure you have deb-src lines in /etc/apt/sources.list for your main repository. These should be exactly the same as the normal lines, but begin deb-src instead of just deb.

Also add this to sources.list, to get the source package from [Mark's] repository
    Code:
    deb-src http://www.mpellis.org.uk/debian/ unstable main
    3) Do an update

Code:
    apt-get update
    4) Get and build the gvfs source, note do not make install

Code:
    apt-get source gvfs
    cd gvfs-0.2.4
    ./configure
    make
    5) Install the following packages

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgvfscommon-dev gvfs-bin gvfs-backends dpkg-dev fakeroot cdbs librra-dev
    6) Get and build synce-gvfs source

Code:
    apt-get source synce-gvfs
    which pulls [Marks] source package. There is a binary package for amd64 machines in the repo [see http://www.mpellis.org.uk] if that's useful to anyone.

7) In the new synce-gvfs dir, edit the rules file in the debian dir, and change /home/mark/sources/synce/gvfs/gvfs-0.2.2 to the absolute path of where your gvfs source tree is (/the/absolute/path/to/gvfs-0.2.4)

8) Run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
    from within the root of synce-gvfs directory (not the debian/ folder).

9) If all goes well, in the dir one level up you now have a synce-gvfs deb which you can install with dpkg.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ../synce-gvfs_0.1.svn20080423-1_i386.deb
    10) Restart your computer.

I used this to set up both my amd64 and x86 machines. I can browse, delete, edit, add files to both my WM5 and WM6 pocket pcs.
    Last edited by harty83; June 6th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    Is it just me, or does Linux and the vast possibilities of what one can do with it tend to consume one's life?
    "When are you going to leave your mistress?" ~ my wife referring to Linux
    Ubuntu User # 15599 / Linux User # 449339

Beans

Re: How to setup synce gvfs in Hardy to be able to browse WM in Hardy

Would you mind putting your deb online?

I just tried to follow your steps
    which seemed to be working fine (apart librapi2..>=..)
    but now I'm getting an error I can't resolve.

In file included from gvfsbackendsynce.c:27:
    /usr/include/rapi.h:852: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘lpDirectoryName’
    gvfsbackendsynce.c:128: error: ‘ERROR_TOO_MANY_OPEN_FILES’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    gvfsbackendsynce.c:129: error: ‘ERROR_NO_MORE_FILES’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    gvfsbackendsynce.c:130: error: ‘ERROR_DISK_FULL’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    make[3]: *** [gvfsd_synce-gvfsbackendsynce.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/excogitation/Desktop/ov_9650/synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/daemon'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/excogitation/Desktop/ov_9650/synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/excogitation/Desktop/ov_9650/synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-makefile-build] Error 2
    I got the gvfs* debs though =D>

Beans

Same problem here!

Beans

I have the same problem in the 8 step. Are you shure that the directory is rithg

Beans

I solved it. I follow the setps at www.synce.com and, i removed gnomevfs from synaptic and istalled gvfs and its works. Just removing the gnomevfs old file and that its.

Beans

For me the same, many sides visited and no success. Decided to try this and indeed followed the instruction for installing synce and then removed synce-gnomevfs via synaptic. Installed gvfs simple via apt-get install gvfs restarted the computer and all worked just perfectly, many many thanks

Beans

I got errors when I followed to 8 step.

dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but Maintainer: does not have Ubuntu address
    dpkg-source: warning: Version number suggests Ubuntu changes, but there is no XSBC-Original-Maintainer field
    dpkg-source: building gvfs using existing gvfs_0.2.5.orig.tar.gz
    dpkg-source: building gvfs in gvfs_0.2.5-0ubuntu2.diff.gz
    dpkg-source: cannot represent change to synce-gvfs_0.1.svn20080423.orig.tar.gz: binary file contents changed
    dpkg-source: cannot represent change to synce-gvfs_0.1.svn20080423-1.diff.gz: binary file contents changed
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/install-sh' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/config.sub' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/compile' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: cannot represent change to synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/pixmaps/synce-gvfs.png: binary file contents changed
    dpkg-source: warning: newly created empty file 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/NEWS' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/config.guess' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/autogen.sh' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/mkinstalldirs' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/depcomp' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/configure' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/missing' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: executable mode 0755 of 'synce-gvfs-0.1.svn20080423/debian/rules' will not be represented in diff
    dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file hal/hal-marshal.c
    dpkg-source: warning: ignoring deletion of file hal/hal-marshal.h
    dpkg-source: building gvfs in gvfs_0.2.5-0ubuntu2.dsc
    dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source
    dpkg-buildpackage: failure: dpkg-source -b gvfs-0.2.5 gave error exit status 1
    Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Packages are now in the following repositories.

Add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/synce/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/synce/ubuntu hardy main
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synce-gvfs
    Is it just me, or does Linux and the vast possibilities of what one can do with it tend to consume one's life?
    "When are you going to leave your mistress?" ~ my wife referring to Linux
    Ubuntu User # 15599 / Linux User # 449339

Beans

Now if I just hadn't tried to install network-manager 0.7 ... I might not have upgraded to Intrepid already

Anyways on Intrepid it doesn't work
    #
    /usr/lib/synce-gvfs/gvfsd-synce
    #
    Added new job source 0x897b818 (GVfsBackendSynce)
    #
    Queued new job 0x897b858 (GVfsJobMount)
    #
    send_reply, failed: 0
    #
    register_mount_callback, mount_reply: (nil), error: 0x8979850
    #
    Mount failed: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Argument 5 is specified to be of type "s", but is actually of type "b"

Beans

Sorry for a stupid question, but I have followed both tutorials (installing synce and then installing synce-gvfs) and everything went just fine, but how do I access my phone now?

If I run synce-pls in terminal, it shows the files on my device, but how do I see those files in Nautilus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast