Ok I am running 8.04 with a D-Link DWL-G122 which worked perfectly fine up until a few days ago. My router died so it was replaced with a netgear DG834G, the only difference between the two is that I renamed the access point and that the current router supports only WPA whilst the previous router ran WPA2.

Anyway when I click on the wireless icon at the top bar, all my neighbours access points show up except mine. This computer is only about 4m above the router through a timber floor which it always had excellent signal in the past. This started happening around the time I changed the router and the last software update, the router disconnected halfway through and havent been able to use wireless on ubuntu since.

Now I am dual booting this machine so when it is booted in XP it can see my access point and connects to it perfectly. It's only ubuntu that doesnt work. The access point is also perfectly fine with my macbook, my other apple computer too so I don't think there is a problem with the router or the wireless dongle.

I have tried hitting software update again but it says it is up to date.

Any ideas?