Thread: Audio device missing after latest update

Beans

[solved] Audio device missing after latest update

Last night I updated all the recommended and urgent packages listed by the Update Manager. Today, I find that my Nvidia Soundstorm audio devices are missing resulting in no sound in any application. Attempting to use the volume control gives the following message: "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found."

I had originally followed the instructions found here to get the digital output Soundstorm provides and it had been working well for the last month. I found the list of packages that were updated last night, but none of them seem related to audio. If necessary I can post the log, but I'm wondering if something broke compatibility with the patch file I ran with the above instructions. Any help or advice would be welcome.
    Last edited by jmac327; May 30th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

Re: Audio device missing after latest update

There was a kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-17-generic which may be the problem. I think you will need to reinstall the closed source nvidia driver again for the kernel.

Beans

Re: Audio device missing after latest update

Thanks a lot! This was indeed the problem, it seems I had not noticed the kernel update. Running the installer and restarting nvsound did the trick. I'll have to pay closer attention to the updates from now on.