Thread: Motherboard Troubleshooting

Beans

Motherboard Troubleshooting

I have an Abit AV8 and I can't save settings to the BIOS. I've a thread here and here - my name on those forums is Asymptote. I was wondering if you know of any ways to troubleshoot a motherboard, electrically? It's an old mobo, but damn it was fast and suited my needs, and I just don't want to avoid the problem by getting a replacement mobo.

It's out of warranty so the manufacturer won't take it back. I just recently got a version 24 of the BIOS which is what I should have had at the time I purchased the mobo, and I still couldn't save settings to the CMOS. I replaced the battery, still no luck. Same lock-ups as mentioned in the thread if I try and save settings to the CMOS.

I posted this here because I figure a lot of *nix users have to understand how the operating system interacts with the hardware, electrically, so perhaps some of you have an EE background. Can you think of anything I can do to troubleshoot this? I've a little knowledge - I took up to Digital Electronics - and I have access to oscopes and logic probes, so if you can think of anything please advise me. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Motherboard Troubleshooting

bump