Thread: Lan gaming

Beans

Lan gaming

Hi there

I have 3 pc's rigged upto my router. To share files all I use is ssh to login to there computers and send files across that way.

I cant figure out whats wrong with lan gaming. My daughter set up a game on bomberman then went to my sons pc and tried searching for a game but nothing could be found. They are all running Ubuntu Gutsy. Only my machine is running Hardy atm. I even tried to search for her game on my machine but searching for a game showed no results. I even tried adding her ip from her pc to the search list but still nothing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Lan gaming

first ensure that all pcs are able to ping each other..

Beans

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I just tried to ping her machine to my machine and the pings were around 0.23ms

My machine to her machine was around 0.21ms

So yes we can ping each others pc's

Thanks

Beans

is firestarter or anything like that installed in any of the pcs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hmm. I decided to get it to see if i could find out whats going on. I cant connect by server list (nothing shows up). I can connect by ip but i can't start a match. (pressing f4 does nothing). I am using a direct cable connection from one pc to the other. One pc is getting its internet through the other so theres nothing wrong with my setup except possibly firewall rules.

There is nothing in my /etc/hosts.deny file and i have no firewall program installed. So I'm thinking its something wrong with the game?

Beans

It could well be then. I tried two more games last night but could not connect via any server lists. Only way I managed to get games working was to actually host over the internet and join that way. Seems a bit silly to use the internet connection on both machines though. Will try to remember what those games were and will install some more lan games today to see if I have anymore luck.. Mine are also all wired up, no wireless

Thanks again