Thread: No Net - Need to DL windows networking software

Beans

Question No Net - Need to DL windows networking software

Hello.

Here's my problem I have a machine running version 7.10 of Ubuntu that cannot be connected to the Internet at the moment due to my wireless card being permanently used on my Windows computer.

I share the Internet with my landlord so hard wiring to the DSL modem is not possible. I have brought in my old router, proceeded to hardwire the windows comp and the linux comp to it.

Now here's the problem...

How do I get the software Ubuntu needs to connect to a windows network? *blink*

And, would it be possible to somehow share the Internet that I am receiving via my wireless adapter to the router, and in turn to the Ubuntu machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No Net - Need to DL windows networking software

How do I get the software Ubuntu needs to connect to a windows network? *blink*
    This thread may help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500734

And, would it be possible to somehow share the Internet that I am receiving via my wireless adapter to the router, and in turn to the Ubuntu machine?
    Should be possible. I'll have a look around and get back to the thread.
    Last edited by mapes12; May 23rd, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu comes equipped with basic networking - how did you plan to connect? I presume by "hardwired" you mean ethernet cable. It may take a li'l massaging to get it all going (router may need to be tweaked to work with landlord's network), but it should be possible... and look at the education you'll get!
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mapes12 View Post
    This thread may help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500734

Should be possible. I'll have a look around and get back to the thread.
    Thanks for the reply. I went to follow the instructions from this post unfortunately said software pyneighbourhood needs to be downloaded which my Ubuntu machine cannot do as it is not able to connect to the Internet until I get networking going. Doh!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Ubuntu comes equipped with basic networking - how did you plan to connect? I presume by "hardwired" you mean ethernet cable. It may take a li'l massaging to get it all going (router may need to be tweaked to work with landlord's network), but it should be possible... and look at the education you'll get!

Thank you for your reply. Yes when I say hardwired I mean to ethernet cable connected between my router and both computers, while my Windows XP comp is wirelessly connected to my landlords router/modem combo machine.