Thread: [SOLVED] Newbie on Ubuntu

Beans

[SOLVED] Newbie on Ubuntu

I'm just another newbie who is bored of Xp and plan to try Ubuntu.
    Well..from what i understand, Wubi is a windows installer which allows me to use Ubuntu in Windows..
    The questions are,

I've a intel core duo processor 1.83Ghz
    windows xp SP2
    The iso files are stated x64 or x86.. what's that? and can my pc support it? I usually install x32 programs in windows. Does this mean that my pc is x32??

and well..

Am i allowed to access windows files when i'm operating on Ubuntu?
    Will all my drivers work if i use Ubuntu? (e.g wireless, graphic card, in-built webcam and others)

sorry for the stupid questions^^"
    Last edited by myth1001; May 22nd, 2008 at 06:59 AM.

Beans

Re: Newbie on Ubuntu

You don't need to worry about all this x86/x64/x32 stuff. Just go to http://wubi-installer.org/index.php and press "Download Now". The software will figure it all out.

Yes, you will be able to reach your Windows files from inside Ubuntu.

As for the drivers, it might work, but it might not work. It depends on how co-operative the hardware manufacturer has been with Linux programmers, and how popular that piece of hardware is.

There isn't an easy way to tell, apart from installing wubi and trying it out!

Good luck.

Beans

I've a weak internet connection, slow and unstable. If i were to depend on the Wubi installer to download the suitable iso for me, it'll never complete. I'm currently downloading ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso , and i'm wondering if it will work for my system..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by myth1001 View Post
    I've a weak internet connection, slow and unstable. If i were to depend on the Wubi installer to download the suitable iso for me, it'll never complete. I'm currently downloading ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso , and i'm wondering if it will work for my system..
    yes, the ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso will work with your system.

Download Wubi from http://wubi-installer.org/index.php, and save installer to save place as the ISO image you downloaded, then run the installer.

Choose a username and password, then click Install, Wubi will use the ISO image you downloaded to install Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

First of all Ubuntu 8.04 ISO is coming with WUBI. u do not have to d/l it separately. Ur system configuration is more than enough to run Ubuntu. Where a XP can run smoothly, Ubuntu will use half of the resources.
    Ur post says u have 32 bit windows XP installed, so u have to install x86 (32 bit) Ubuntu in XP using wubi. Ur pc is certainly support 64 bits also.Through wubi ur installing Ubuntu as a virtual OS, so u can use both OS simultaneously. Most of the Intel hardwares works really well with Ubuntu. I do not know about a wireless, coz i do not have one, but the web cam, graphics and sounds are easy to install. Normally ubuntu detect and install the necessary drivers on installation. U need to d/l codec for multimedia support.

I suggest u to give a Ubuntu a separate partition, coz XP is known for BSOD and other trouble. If u use Ubuntu within any windows platform u can not enjoy the real Ubuntu's flavor. Most of the 1 GB ram will be taken away by windows and Ubuntu have to do with the rest. It is better allocate a small partition for Ubuntu and experiment. I am sure u will be hooked in to it. like me

MARK YOUR THREAD SOLVED

Beans

thanks for all the replies! ^_^
    I shall wait for the download to be complete and test it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When you have installed Ubuntu and boot to it, you will get the full memory of your system available to Ubuntu as Windows is not loaded in any way when you boot into Ubuntu.

All Wubi does is install Ubuntu inside a single file (virtual disk), modifies the boot menu, and thats it.

Windows doesn't run in the background when you boot into Ubuntu.

Beans

I've installed it and it's working great!!
    I'm exploring it now and will get to know more about Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_abhi View Post
    Through wubi ur installing Ubuntu as a virtual OS, so u can use both OS simultaneously.
    Wubi is not a VM, it runs directly on the hardware at full speed (other than harddisk I/O). And no, you cannot run both OSes simultaneously, you need to dual boot like in a standard installation.