Thread: [SOLVED] Issue with 2 Sound cards Hardy heron

Beans

Unhappy [SOLVED] Issue with 2 Sound cards Hardy heron

Hi all, I have 2 soundcards on my PC one is onboard CH5 the other is a USB adaptor with CM106-F chipset. What I am trying to achieve is to have system sounds and playback from the onboard S/C and I run an amateur radio PSK31 software which I want to use only the USB adaptor. I can select DSP or DSP1 in the PSK s/w and that works fine but I get system sounds on the onboard s/c and Video sound playback on the USB adaptor. It does not appear to matter what settings I select in the sounds option it either does not work at all or we get the above problem any ideas would be good.

Graham

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Issue with 2 Sound cards Hardy heron

try setting the default soundcard with asoundconf. does that do anything for system and multimedia sounds?

Code:
    asoundconf list
    asoundconf set-default-card <card>

Beans

Unhappy Re: Issue with 2 Sound cards Hardy heron

Quote Originally Posted by aeiah View Post
    try setting the default soundcard with asoundconf. does that do anything for system and multimedia sounds?

Code:
    asoundconf list
    asoundconf set-default-card <card>
    No this make no it does not but thanks for help

Beans

You can use the pavucontrol program to move audio streams between sound cards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    You can use the pavucontrol program to move audio streams between sound cards.
    Thanks for help I have now tried pavucontrol and no audio streams are listed, I have looked at pulseaudio --dump-modules and none are listed implying that pulseaudio is not loaded??????

Beans

Streams are dynamic, they only show up when applications are sending sound data to PulseAudio.

Also you have to make sure your applications are using PulseAudio:

asoundconf set-pulseaudio

And in the menu:

system->preferences->sound set everything to PulseAudio Sound Server.

Additionally some applications have their own settings regarding sound output, and some application may need to be started with the padsp wrapper.