Thread: Problem getting graphics card working

Beans

Problem getting graphics card working

Sorry the title is a little vague

My computer got messed up when my cousin turned off during an upgrade and I had to reinstall Ubuntu. I had my monitor plugged into my Nvidia graphics card, but after the restart the card wouldn't work. I'm guessing that the driver isn't installed and that would make sense. I downloaded the driver from Nvidia, but it will not let me install. I currently have the monitor plugged directly into the motherboard, but it makes everything grainy and reading text is impossible. Also under hardware drivers it says NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver is not enabled, but whenever I enable and restart my computer gets screwed up and I have to reinstall

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
    Ubuntu 8.04
    Last edited by DivineJustice; May 22nd, 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem getting graphics card working

These things are very touchy. Too touchy in my opinion (Ubuntu should work on this). In any case...I have the exact same card and it requires TLC. I reinstall when it messes up. Sorry.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garyedwardjohnston View Post
    These things are very touchy. Too touchy in my opinion (Ubuntu should work on this). In any case...I have the exact same card and it requires TLC. I reinstall when it messes up. Sorry.

Do you mean reinstall Ubuntu or the graphics card and what version of Ubuntu are you running?

also under hardware drivers it says NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver is not enabled, but whenever I enable and restart my computer gets screwed up and I have to reinstall
    Last edited by DivineJustice; May 22nd, 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the latest everything from official Ubuntu sources.

Here's what I do. Don't know why but it's the only thing that works.

Install Ubuntu (8.04)

Immediately after the restart install the recommended driver.

Restart again, then start using the computer, like installing updates, changing screen resolutions, etc.

I have no idea why this is required but this is the series of tasks I perform to get everything working. Any other sequence and it craps out.

PS Envy doesn't help.