Thread: GeForce MX 440 Go (NV17) Driver Issue (Hardy)

Beans

Can't Install Drivers (Hardy) - GeForce MX 440 Go (NV17)

Everything was working fine, but appeared that the 3D drivers were not enable as even a 3D screen saver would run choppy. I went to check the 'Hardware Drivers' and there was an unchecked box next to nVidia 3D drivers box, so I checked it. One file was downloaded, several things installed, and it asked for a reboot.

Once the login screen arrives, all video disappears, even the backlight shuts off. How can I remove/replace these drivers. I can live with only 2D if I have to but no video is not an option.

Thanks a million.
    Last edited by Velcro39; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Beans

Re: No Video - GeForce MX 440 Go (NV17) Driver Issue (Hardy)

bump

Beans

Re: GeForce MX 440 Go (NV17) Driver Issue (Hardy)

Ok.

So I got a bunch of stuff doing:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and now I'm stuck in low-res mode and trying to figure out how to install video drivers.

Beans

Downloaded nVidia drivers from their website. Can't install because I'm using a Xen Kernel. How else am I supposed to do it?

Thanks a whole bunch.

Beans

I was able to install the drivers with EnvyNG to get it working, and used the Screens and Graphics application.

My problem comes back to why I started this whole thing. The 3D is really slow. Slower than before. Any 3D screen saver will run.

I don't know what else to do now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Velcro39 View Post
    Downloaded nVidia drivers from their website. Can't install because I'm using a Xen Kernel. How else am I supposed to do it?

Thanks a whole bunch.
    You aren't using the stock kernel?

If you can aren't getting kicked back to a login prompt, then that means X is starting fine, just you can't see anything. I don't know about with a different kernel, but have you tried using some of the beta drivers?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.