Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Internet Help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Internet Help

    I'm having a problem with connecting to the internet with Ubuntu Server.

    I tried pinging it, but it just hangs there.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    65
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Internet Help

    Is this a wired ethernet connection you have or a wireless connection? If it is a wired connection then have you properly configured your router/modem?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Re: Internet Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Oak37 View Post
    Is this a wired ethernet connection you have or a wireless connection? If it is a wired connection then have you properly configured your router/modem?
    Its a wired connection, and we're connecting to a school's network

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,909
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Internet Help

    Quote Originally Posted by hwang251 View Post
    Its a wired connection, and we're connecting to a school's network
    What did you try to ping?

    -Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

    Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Re: Internet Help

    Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    What did you try to ping?

    -Tim
    I tried pinging the school's website

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Beans
    2,909
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Internet Help

    Quote Originally Posted by hwang251 View Post
    I tried pinging the school's website
    You will need to set up the DNS servers and the default gateway to get out to the internet. Is this machine configured via DHCP or does it have a static IP address?

    -Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

    Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Re: Internet Help

    Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    You will need to set up the DNS servers and the default gateway to get out to the internet. Is this machine configured via DHCP or does it have a static IP address?

    -Tim
    The machine is configured via DHCP, so what do I need to do to set up the DNA servers and the default gateway?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ~/PA/USA
    Beans
    1,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Internet Help

    sudo pico /etc/network/interfaces

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    Hope this helps.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    26

    Re: Internet Help

    Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    sudo pico /etc/network/interfaces

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

    Hope this helps.....
    I did that but it still has no connection

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •