Thread: "routine checking disc" - do i need to worry?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"routine checking disc" - do i need to worry?

Hello

Today when i booted my Ubuntu Hardy, i noticed it doing a "routine checking disc" on sda5, which is my /home partition.

I am used to Windows doing such when there was a problem during shutdown or previous boot, however in my case there was no problem, i shut down my machine normally last night and, apart from this check, it also started normally in the morning today.

Now do i need to worry or is this indeed "routine" and just performed every so many boots? I have Hardy installed since 16 days now and it's the first time i see this happen (apart from an install on another computer where this came after i had to "reset" to get a frozen computer to reboot). No error of any sort was found, by the way, at least i wasn't notified of any.

By the way that HDD is brand new, it was bought for the purpose of having Ubuntu on it.

Also, out of curiosity - "sda" looks like a SATA device, however both my HDD's (an 80 GB for Linux and a 500 GB for data, this is still NTFS) are normal IDE drives, i have no SATA devices in my machine. Why does it think they are SATA? Everything works fine.........

With kind regards......

Thanh
    BULLDOZER !

Beans

Re: "routine checking disc" - do i need to worry?

don't worry this is indeed a routine check and nothing more, and ubuntu refers to all drives as sda, as of fiesty i think. it will not pose any problems for you.. that i am sure of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: "routine checking disc" - do i need to worry?

Hello

Thank you very much indeed I am still new to Ubuntu and easily scared of things breaking.

But then, my system works so well, why would it break......

With kind regards.....

your Thanh
    BULLDOZER !