Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will someone help me

Beans

Exclamation will someone help me

ok basically i need someone to put linux on a hard drive for me because ever time i do it dont work i have the hard drive that i can send you and i would prefer any type of linux that can be used as a web server, printing server , use it on my home network and use it from any internet source

IS THIS POSSIBALE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: will someone help me

How exactly don't your installs work? Is there a specific error message or other event that happens when you try to boot?

If no one takes you up on your offer, plenty of places offer pre-installed Ubuntu computers (Dell and system76 come to mind), and I would also suggest downloading the Ubuntu server installation disk, which comes with a convenient "install omni-server" option.

Edit: Also, it'd be ill-advised to do this, as the install would just install support for the hardware in the machine it was in at install time. If you sent the drive to someone and had them install it, it'd be configured for their machine, which would be useless in your machine, unless you both had the same exact hardware.
    Last edited by FrostDust; May 15th, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added more advice

Beans

would it be possible to put the os on a usb flash drive
    and boot from that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kinter614 View Post
    would it be possible to put the os on a usb flash drive
    and boot from that
    Yes, though that's more difficult than installing to a hard drive. You'd be better off giving us specific errors we can work with, then we can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by kinter614 View Post
    will someone help me
    It's much less likely with that kind of title. You'll find you get much better help if you're descriptive about what your problem actually is in the title. That way we know if we should read it or not, since none of us know *everything*; we all have expertise in some areas, and great gaps of knowledge in others.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

the ubuntu lets me install it then when it reboots it asks me form y user name and password on a black screen i put my user name in then try and put my password in it wont let me

Beans

Won't let you, meaning that it says your password is incorrect?

See, it's installed just fine. You just can't log in.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

i think it is installed fine just wont let me login on the black screen so i cant finish the install i think

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Perhaps you hit the shift or space key by accident when you where typing in the password when you were installing ubuntu.
    This is not a signature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if you get past your log in type
    startx
    the press enter
    or start x
    that should start the GUI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Skyler View Post
    if you get past your log in type
    startx
    the press enter
    or start x
    that should start the GUI
    if that fails just re install and be very careful of your password and log in details.ubuntu is very easy to install,you prolly just have a simple hitch in the log in/password.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast