Quote Originally Posted by Awalton View Post
what part of GNOME is locking up? Does everything else still work if you kill Nautilus (nautilus -q, killall nautilus, etc)? If the problem is persisting across users then it's probably a bit more serious...
When I log into Gnome normally or with a failsafe Gnome, it just hangs, sometimes the desktop image and the panels show up, but none of the menu's work. Nothing works, I cannot bring up a terminal, nautilus, or any applications within gnome. All that I have is a an image and non-working panels. And yes the problem exists for all users. I create a new user and the user functions normally for one session (until logout) and then the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Awalton View Post
Using Nautilus as Root is UNSUPPORTED, UNTESTED, AND DANGEROUS.
DO NOT RUN NAUTILUS AS ROOT, EVEN FOR "SIMPLE, HARMLESS TASKS".

(blinking red text would have been better...)

I'm not really sure where this message originated, but I have never seen this before in my life. If I had ever seen something like this before, I assure you I would not have posted anything here (Its not as if I knew it was a risk and went ahead and did it anyway), I would have first: not have done it in the first place, and second: I would have known that the problem I am having is what goes along with using something unsupported. This is not the case here, I am one to use manuals and follow them. However, I have used >sudo nautilus countless times, in at least 25 distro's and never once had a problem like this before.

Also just to be clear, does your cautionary statement include using gksudo? (suggested earlier by logos34)