Thread: [SOLVED] uninstalling and installing Ubuntu

Beans

[SOLVED] uninstalling and installing Ubuntu

It seems with the problems I now have, my best bet is to uninstall Ubuntu and reinstall fresh.

I have a dual (now triple) boot machine with 98SE adn 2000Pro on it. I installed Ubuntu with wubi through 98.

What do I need to do to insure a clean uninstall and would I do better to reinstall from 2000 rather from 98 or would that make any difference?

Any help appreciated.

Home built KT7A-RAID, AMD 2600 Barton, 768 MB RAM, 3 hds total 1/4 terrabyte divided into 20 drive partitions, DVDRW, CD, CDRW, LS-120, hot swap hd, floppy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: uninstalling and installing Ubuntu

you installed wubi through 98, so you need to uninstall it through 98. just go to add/remove programs in control apnel and it will be there.

or just download ccleaner and use that, looking under the tools tab iirc. (just google it).

as for reinstalling wubi, which is what i assume you are going to do, it makes not a slight bit of difference afaik, if it is on 98 or 2000.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you installed via wubi, you can uninstall it just like you would with any windows application, from add/remove in control panel. If you want to install ubuntu again, it doesn't matter if it's from '98 or 2000 I guess.

Why not install straight from the LiveCD so it creates the "common" dual boot?

E: seems like I was a bit slow this time
    Please remember to mark the thread "solved" if we have success helping you out. This helps people to look for help later on.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kesman View Post
    If you installed via wubi, you can uninstall it just like you would with any windows application, from add/remove in control panel. If you want to install ubuntu again, it doesn't matter if it's from '98 or 2000 I guess. Why not install straight from the LiveCD so it creates the "common" dual boot?
    heh beat you to it. need to type quicker next time

Beans

Thank you both.

However, I uninstalled, then re-installed and somehow it kept all the original setup. Even the new background I had installed came up. Also, the same problems with java and video that I had caused were still there.

I have uninstalled again and run ccleaner. Any file I should get rid of or anthing else I should do prior to re-installing again in order to get a totally clean install just like the very first time?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wordmaster View Post
    Thank you both.

However, I uninstalled, then re-installed and somehow it kept all the original setup. Even the new background I had installed came up. Also, the same problems with java and video that I had caused were still there.

I have uninstalled again and run ccleaner. Any file I should get rid of or anthing else I should do prior to re-installing again in order to get a totally clean install just like the very first time?
    did you use the uninstall tool in ccleaner?

and if you have run it, then just search the compute for anything with the name ubuntu but you should be ok now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't know how Wubi does it, but if you are able to select where your /home -directory is created, make sure you select an empty space. /home has your every setting for each program.
    Please remember to mark the thread "solved" if we have success helping you out. This helps people to look for help later on.

Beans

It is probably totally obvious, but I am missing it. How do you mark a thread "solved"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wordmaster View Post
    It is probably totally obvious, but I am missing it. How do you mark a thread "solved"?
    At the top of this thread, there will be a button called "Thread Tools". Click that than, at the bottom, click on "Mark This thread As Solved".