Thread: Ubuntu 64 bit vs Dell Inspiron 6400 (ATI x1400)

Beans

Ubuntu 64 bit vs Dell Inspiron 6400 (ATI x1400)

hi guys...actually i am using Ubuntu 32 bit on my Dell Inspiron 6400 (core2duo 2GH, 2GB, ATI X1400). everything is great...just hibernate problem...

but now i want to use Ubuntu 64 bit...my hardware is 64 bit supported...but i am confuse about graphics card ATI x1400...what u think??????is it supported 64 bit ubuntu...???

can i install 64 bit....and will i get good experience or not...???

thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 64 bit vs Dell Inspiron 6400 (ATI x1400)

I know that everyone gets their pants all wet when the think about the 64 bit version of the OS.

But, the actual difference is performance is quite small.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Ubuntu 64 bit vs Dell Inspiron 6400 (ATI x1400)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyyyyyy View Post
    hi guys...actually i am using Ubuntu 32 bit on my Dell Inspiron 6400 (core2duo 2GH, 2GB, ATI X1400). everything is great...just hibernate problem...

but now i want to use Ubuntu 64 bit...my hardware is 64 bit supported...but i am confuse about graphics card ATI x1400...what u think??????is it supported 64 bit ubuntu...???

can i install 64 bit....and will i get good experience or not...???

thanks...
    Just thought I'd wade in here to agree with SlimOdds - well kind of.

IMHO, we're still in a 32bit world at the moment - so it's pretty obvious that if you want the least amount of hassle, then stick to 32bit Ub.

On the other hand - if you're like me and need 64bit* - then go for it. After all you can always back off your data and revert to 32bit! Or if you're a real smarta55 then dual boot, (I think!)

(* I needed to run VMware Server in 64bit mode [don't ask - it's a long story!] so I got forced to use 64bit Ub. Yes, I did have a little bit of hassle getting it working 100%, but I think I'm there now - after install #2).

If you want to compare - I'm using a Latitude D620 with 64bit 7.10. I'm going to hold off of 8.04 until the level of complaints goes down a bit.

crossy.
    I find that one of: "Use Linux", "Just reboot", "Hit it hard" and "No" are usually satisfactory answers for most computer-related questions

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 64 bit vs Dell Inspiron 6400 (ATI x1400)

ok...i did it...means i have installed 64bit ubuntu on my Dell 6400...and i don't have any problem...same as like 32bit ubuntu...but more smooth than 32bit ubuntu...all drivers are 100% working...

but i felt one problem...actually not a problem but something wrong...in 32bit ubuntu...when i installed extra softwares from add/remove or from sympt then the downloading speed is very fast...1 mb/s, 2mb/s, etc...connection to ubuntu server is very fast...but in ubuntu 64bit that speed is very very slow...only 20kb/s , 10kb/s.......it takes very long time to connect with ubuntu server...i don't know whats the problem...i think LAN driver problem...but downloading speed from firefox is very fast...

may be ubuntu server for 64bit version is slow...

what is the problem...can anybody help me...why downloading speed from updating is very slow...

thanks...