Thread: Firewall???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Firewall???

- question, what firewall should i install in my hardy???
    - thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Firewall???

There is a firewall installed by default. It is actually part of the linux kernel. A nice gui front end to administer it is firestarter. Type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firestarter
    to install it.

There is only one firewall, IPTables, and it's intergrated in to the kernel, so you're using it wether you want to or not. The question is it configured to acutally do anything other than allow all traffic through (the default). Firestarter is a popular tool to configure and monitor IPTables.

But the question is why do you feel the need to configure IPTables? Did you install some server software above and beyond the base install that needs to be protected? are you directly connected to the internet and thus don't have a NAT/Router handling filtering at the network level for you?

Windows has conditioned people to equate firewall with security, the truth is not doing dangerous things will keep you far safer than any tool ever will.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PeterJS View Post
    There is only one firewall, IPTables, and it's intergrated in to the kernel, so you're using it wether you want to or not. The question is it configured to acutally do anything other than allow all traffic through (the default). Firestarter is a popular tool to configure and monitor IPTables.

But the question is why do you feel the need to configure IPTables? Did you install some server software above and beyond the base install that needs to be protected? are you directly connected to the internet and thus don't have a NAT/Router handling filtering at the network level for you?

Windows has conditioned people to equate firewall with security, the truth is not doing dangerous things will keep you far safer than any tool ever will.
    - hmmm, i think your right. hehe thanks!