Thread: Remote accessing a Windows XP box from Ubuntu

Beans

Remote accessing a Windows XP box from Ubuntu

My parents often have trouble with their Windows XP PC desktop and as I'm living abroad I often end up telling them how to fix their problems over the phone. Does anyone know of a free/open source program I can use to remotely operate their computer with their consent? I used to have one through XP on my computer, but I've got a Linux only setup now.
    Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
    Dell M1330 - Intel Duo T7300 2.00GHz - GeForce 8400M GS - 2GB RAM - Broadcom BCM5906M - Hardy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Remote accessing a Windows XP box from Ubuntu

Realvnc on the xp machine... lots of stuff for Linux... I normally use krdc/krfb

however realvnc does not, in the free version, support encrypted transmission and you will also have to set according port-forwarding.

Beans

I think this may work :
    1. Ask your parents to install some dynamic IP stuffs like dyndns.org and have it updated & running on Windows.
    2. They should have an account at dyndns, for example : family.dyndns.org
    3. Try : "rdesktop -0 family.dyndns.org"

In fact, I use this many times in LAN with the LAN IP replace the part "family.dyndns.org". I have never tried outside the LAN, though. I just heard that my colleague is able to access his working PC from home by using this way.

Hope this help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Hamachi and vnc to do exactly what you want to do. You don't have to install VNC on your Ubuntu box, it's already there. On the Windows side, I use UltraVNC
    I'm thinking about it

Beans

I use Tight VNC on all my windows boxes and use ubuntu's remote desktop viewer to access them.....not sure about running over the internet though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use logmein.com. It will require you to install an app on their machine, and an account. But thereafter you can go to logmein.com, select their machine, enter the account password and view/take over their desktop.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

VNC is (mark my words) HORRIBLE in terms of performance. It pales in comparison to RDP (something I wish wasn't true) and since you are trying to connect to a XP machine, there is absolutely no reason why you should use VNC. Like Dani Filth mentioned, use rdesktop when connecting to the machine.

I usually create a launcher on the desktop that I simply can double click on:

Code:
    rdesktop -0 ip-number -u user -g 1280x973 -p password
    -0 flag being you are logging in to the console session. The rest should be pretty self explanatory, just replace the placeholder.