Thread: wireless SSID issue

Beans

wireless SSID issue

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Before I begin, I want to add that I've been running Ubuntu 8.04 now for a few days, and this is the first Ubuntu install I've ever done, so I'm a slight noob with this Linux distro

I have a wireless network with a hidden SSID (For various reasons other than security), setup with WPA. The Gnome network manager connected fine to my network, the issue was that it would not auto connect, and I had to enter the SSID and WPA password every time I shut the machine down, rebooted, or suspended/hibernated. This was a slight annoyance, but it worked...

So now I have installed WICD, which works great as well, except it does the same thing; will not auto connect to the network. I've checked the "remember connection" check box, as well and saved the WPA password in the connection info settings. So when I reboot, or whatever, I have to pull WICD back up, enter in the SSID, then click connect for it to connect (This time though at least I don't have to type the WPA password).

So my question is, is there a way around this, to make it always remember the SSID? Could I write a script to make WICD add the SSID name and connect at boot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Beans

Re: wireless SSID issue

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Search the forums but from what I have seen no one seems able to get it to connect automaticly unless it's not hidden.

Beans

That's what I was afraid of... and thank you for the reply

Has anyone had any luck though, with the wpa_supplicant.conf, and passing it to wicd to pull the SSID? Or even using it with Network-Manager to always pull a hidden SSID by chance?