Thread: Wireless Help: Linksys WPC54GS

Beans

Wireless Help: Linksys WPC54GS

Hi. I just installed 8.04 without difficulty on my IBM Thinkpad T30. It appears that my wireless card is recognized, and a driver installed, but it is disabled, despite my having enabled it in the network manager. Of course, I might be wrong about any of the above! Following is what I think are the most relevant data when I entered "lshw" into my terminal. Thanks for any help!

*-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4318 802.11g wireless LAN Controller
    configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge

*-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wireless Help: Linksys WPC54GS

Check in the System --> Administration --> Restricted Drivers Manager to see if there is firmware to install.

Beans

There is (in 8.04) no "Restricted Drivers Manager" in System-->Administration.

There is a selection "Hardware Drivers". When I open it, it says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system."

I've since found that my ethernet connection doesn't work, either.

What a headache--any further thoughts?

Justin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It doesn't look good. There should be a firmare install available. See this HowTo at the top. If you can't get that firmware, you might have to do it the old-fashioned way.

There are two ways you can go to try to get the Broadcom wireless to work if the Hardy firmware tool is not working. One, try to get the native Linux drivers to work with the Broadcom firmware. Here is a page about that. Two, use ndiswrapper and the Windows drivers. Here is a HowTo about that.

Beans

I think I found the firmware. I had to configure the package manager to look in the CD-ROM drive, and when I put my install CD in there, b43-fwcutter appeared.

I tried to install it, but encountered an error. When I looked at the log, it appeared as if it were trying to access the internet as part of the process.

As I mentioned in my last post, I can't get the ethernet connection to work, either, so it looks like I have to start there.

I'm not sure why the ethernet connection isn't working. I'm using a cable modem hooked to a Linksys router. Both the wireless and ethernet work on the Windows XP computer I'm using to post these questions.

So, any ideas why the ethernet connection isn't working?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Beans

Oh wait, I misspoke. My ethernet is NOT working on my other computer; only the wireless is working.

I changed the cable to no avail, so something else must be wrong. I never thought I'd be up and running wirelessly and not be able to use my wired connection . . .