Thread: Wine?

Beans

Question Wine?

I've been hearing about it, did some research of my own, and I'm still not sure what it is.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsurugi13 View Post
    I've been hearing about it, did some research of my own, and I'm still not sure what it is.
    Can anyone enlighten me?
    Wine Is Not an Emulator

But what it is, is a way to 'fool' Windows programs into thinking they are on windows, and running fine. When a windows program asks for "windows_screen" or something, wine says "sure!" and gives it "ubuntu_screen" dressed up as "windows_screen". Therefore, the best words for it are "compatability layer"; it is like the little things you use to plug your electronics in, in another country to make the plugs fit in the sockets; the same electricity is going through, it just needs to be given to it in a different way.
    Please thank me! -> Yes, I am that shallow.
    I have Ubuntu on my laptop, Kubuntu LMCE on my media center & Xubuntu on my server. Anyone want to employ me as teacher so I can run Edubuntu?

forestpixie Guest

Simply it is something that allows some windows programs to run in linux - it doesn't work for everything though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For more info http://www.winehq.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    Simply it is something that allows some windows programs to run in linux - it doesn't work for everything though.
    And what programs WINE wont execute, virtual box will.
    My Goal... Ubuntu or Bust!!