Thread: The best wifi card EVER?

Beans

The best wifi card EVER?

Hey all!

I have been wrestling with wireless on Linux for the last six months.

I have an Asus mobo with one of those ridiculous onboard USB wifi adapters which uses the RTL8187 chipset. I gave up on that particularly unsavory lump of garbage a LONG time ago. I found an RT2500 based PCI card at a flea market for 5 bucks... Popped that in and it did work (once I turned off Network Manager), the problem is that it is incredibly unstable. I am not sure why, but sometimes it will work flawlessly for hours and other times it will run for five minutes and then just stop working, sometimes it never even gets a DHCP lease sucessfully and just decides to start napping. I have gotten really good at issuing the following command:

root@hypothalamus:~# /etc/init.d/networking restart

I have to say that issuing this command ten to twenty times a day is getting old. All I use for encryption is WEP... It really is quite pathetic; I feel forced to keep my expectations low...I haven't even tried WPA for fear of making a bad situation worse...

Now I will get right to the point: Given my experiences up to now I would like my next Wifi purchase to be much less painful. I have honestly given up on both of the Wifi cards that I have installed right now...

What Wifi card JUST WORKS? Just install, boot and configure with network manager (or whatever)? Which is the BEST Wireless card for use with ubuntu? I dont need draft-n, my router only supports G and that is all I want or need.

Please, tell me what has worked for you...without jumping through hoops?

Thanks,

BvG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: The best wifi card EVER?

Netgear WG511T. Worked right out of the box with the madwifi drivers that are included with Ubuntu. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Dunno what country you are in, but I also have this card:

http://www.airlink101.com/products/awlc4030.html

I got it for about $20 at Fry's. Also works fine with Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Monicker View Post
    Netgear WG511T. Worked right out of the box with the madwifi drivers that are included with Ubuntu. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Dunno what country you are in, but I also have this card:

http://www.airlink101.com/products/awlc4030.html

I got it for about $20 at Fry's. Also works fine with Ubuntu.
    I just got one of these today, coincidentally, and it works great. Mine was $70 though
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Could either of you tell me what chipset is used in that particular model? Is it USB or pci(x)? Does it work at 54mbit speeds?

I ask because I live in Switzerland, and while I may not be able to easily find the *exact* card you mentioned, I may be able to find one with the same chipset, and thus drivers...

thanks!

BvG

Beans

Ohh and BTW this is for a desktop pc, so PCMCIA would not really work...

Beans

Ok, checked out the link in the above post, aqnd browsed around the site and found this other card there:

http://www.airlink101.com/products/awlh5026.html

The card you two say that you use has the Atheros chipset, which I presume works particularly well/ is well supported in Linux and specifically Ubuntu.

The question is whether the awlh5026 uses the Atheros chipset as well?

Presumably yes, but??