Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

Worked like a charm. LinDVD still works and the only problem was a known kernel bug that required switching to RAID (from SATA) in the BIOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

I've also just found this solution suggested on the bug reports.

Can you explain what it means to switch to RAID on a system that has existing partitions?

I want to upgrade not fresh install the entire system.

My very limited understanding has me thinking of RAID having multiple disks behaving as a single disk - I don't want to risk disrupting the partitioning I have atm.

I've added another disk from an old system, so don't just have the one disk. With just one disk I expect RAID might behave as single SATA..
    Last edited by davidpbrown; April 22nd, 2008 at 01:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell E530 upgrade to Hardy 8.04 RC1

I'd also like to know the impact of this change. It'd also be good to have simple step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by freddybob View Post
    I'd also like to know the impact of this change. It'd also be good to have simple step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
    I don't really understand the implications of the change but suspect that if you've only got the one hard disk (as I have) the RAID setting doesn't have any effect beyond making it possible to boot the Inspiron 530, which I couldn't do in Hardy with SATA Mode set to the default IDE. (Never had this problem with previous versions of Ubuntu.)

To make the change, just boot the machine and, at the prompt, press F2 to enter System Setup. Go to the screen headed Integrated Peripherals, find the entry for SATA Mode, and change it from IDE to RAID. Save the new settings and reboot. That's all.

Obviously you do this at your own risk - but I gather quite a lot of people have done it (including me) and I'm unaware of any adverse effects.

p

Beans

Hi,

Are you using the X3100 for video, or does your E530 have a videocard installed? Do you have video playback while compiz is enabled ?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ieldib View Post
    Hi,

Are you using the X3100 for video, or does your E530 have a videocard installed? Do you have video playback while compiz is enabled ?

Thanks in advance.
    I suppose we're talking about the same machine - only I'm not sure where the "E" comes from. I'm using an Inspiron 530N desktop machine, which came with Ubuntu 7.04 (subsequently upgraded to 7.10 and now 8.04).

Anyway, it has a GeForce 8300GS video card and I don't have Compiz enabled, so can't tell you anything very useful, I'm afraid.

p

Beans

Where did you find info on this kernel bug regarding the hard drive? I just tried to install 8.04 on my 0 day old 530 and was just presented with loads of errors

The Dell Wiki has nothing. Could you give me a link?
    Last edited by ditoa; April 25th, 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ditoa View Post
    Where did you find info on this kernel bug regarding the hard drive? I just tried to install 8.04 on my 0 day old 530 and was just presented with loads of errors

The Dell Wiki has nothing. Could you give me a link?
    The Dell Wiki typically(*) doesn't have anything on a new release for some weeks, until the Dell techs have a chance to test things.

However, ths is a known bug, as shown at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/153702

(*) Since there's only been one previous release since Dell started selling Ubuntu, "typically" just means "what happened last time."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I found this yesterday
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804
    Other known issues
    DELL RAID firmware compatibility
    Ubuntu 8.04 LTS fails to run on some DELL PowerEdge servers with RAID controllers, such as the 3/Di controller in the DELL PowerEdge 1650, due to a bug in the RAID firmware. To install or upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS on a system with the affected RAID controller, you will first need to upgrade your RAID firmware.
    Unfortunately I then got nowhere looking around the repository trying to upgrade the BIOS
    http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php...itory/firmware
    .. lots of rpm and seemingly less of the simple debian/Ubuntu compatible BIOS upgrading software. If anyone can make that work let us know how..

Of course that might be confusing two types of thing..

Beans
    Distro

Will changing to RAID wipe my disk?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast