Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Warranty question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dell Warranty question

The other day I ordered an XPS M1330... with Vista... the price was amazingly low compared to the N-series counterpart because of a huge promotion... I couldn't resist.

Will installing Ubuntu or any Linux distro have any effect on my warranty? It is listed as 3Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support
    2 reps in sales said my warranty would remain in tact (I don't think they know the meaning of "Linux Distribution") and 1 in tech support said I would void it. I searched the web for answers, but I have seen anywhere from absolutely to definitely not! I posted on the Dell community forum and one person said that the hardware warranty would still be valid... but that is still just 2 sales reps and 1 community member versus a tech support rep.

How far can I go without voiding my warranty? I want to be covered if my LED screen stops working, or the CD bay fails... etc.

Case 1:
    Resize Windows partition, format backup partition into Swap and large FAT32 share partition, install 64-bit Ubuntu and boot using Windows Boot Loader.

Case 2:
    Delete Dell Restore partition followed by Level 1

Case 3:
    Completely reformat drive to run Vista in a VM in Ubuntu 64 bit... keeping the Vista CD in case I have to send my computer in to Dell to get it serviced.

Case 4:
    Get a $50 refund from Microsoft and go completely Open... which I would be happy to do.

I attached the purchase details. Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LibertyShadow; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Bad Attachment

Beans

Re: Dell Warranty question

You could possibly avoid all of this and see if they will match the promotion on your Vista installed XPS M1330 on a N-Series XPS M1330. They generally will, and often forget to include such promotion prices w/ their N-Series models. I would call and double check to see if this is possible, you could avoid your listed issues if it is do-able. =]

As far as this goes, I've heard both stories. I would call support and ask to talk to a supervisor just to confirm and possibly even get a confirmation email from them for reference should you ever need your warranty down the road and having Ubuntu installed does cause issues. I'm pretty pleased w/ my experience working w/ Dell overall since I purchased my Inspiron 1420n. The few times I needed support they were very helpful and got me to the appropriate ppl if they were not knowledgeable in what I was asking. If I were you though, I would seriously consider asking for a price match on a N-Series version of the XPS m1330 and just ordering it over the Vista version. Each order of the N-Series models furthers the demand for OEM Linux machines. =] Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately the promotion ended so I am not sure what I am going to be able to do. I'll be sure to let you know!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyShadow View Post
    Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately the promotion ended so I am not sure what I am going to be able to do. I'll be sure to let you know!
    Well your order was placed during the promotion, but if you mention the promotion was not offered w/ the N-Series equivalent model they might be able to apply it to that. I would call for confirmation, if you're seriously considering this option I would call asap as the further along the ordering process your order gets, the less-likely they will be able to do this for you. =]
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I left a message with my sales rep, who is probably at lunch. I'll wait a half hour for a response... otherwise I'll talk to anyone I can get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dell sent me a response in an email:
    2. About changing the operating system on your Dell computer
    ==============================

You can upgrade or change the operating system on your Dell computer. Our technicians will still support the Dell hardware according to the terms of your service contract, but only the operating system that was installed on your computer when you received it will be supported by us. If you change your operating system, all support for the operating system would be provided by the software manufacturer, for example Microsoft for any Windows products.

For more information about your warranty, go to:
    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...n&~section=010

Thank you for choosing Dell.

I think this means that I am in the clear, if I am understanding the service contract correctly.

I'll look into switching to N-series, although I would end up overwriting 32-bit Gutsy with 64-bit Hardy anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyShadow View Post
    Dell sent me a response in an email:

I think this means that I am in the clear, if I am understanding the service contract correctly.

I'll look into switching to N-series, although I would end up overwriting 32-bit Gutsy with 64-bit Hardy anyway.
    Correct, if you purchase software/OS support through Dell you'd be purchasing Canonical support. Dell, however does have a Linux hardware support line fi you have issues involving hardware. Please see my sticky thread her ein the Dell-Ubuntu sub-forum for it and additional helpful info. =]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for contacting Dell.

I understand that you wish to know if installing Ubuntu would void warranty. I would be glad to provide necessary information.

Please be advised that the warranty is for the pre-installed software and configuration of the system. Any deviation from the pre-installed software and pre-installed configuration, would void the warranty.
    [Alot of information about how to find order status]
    Why can't Dell make up their minds??? Contradiction after contradiction. Time to talk to a supervisor!

Beans

You, unfortunately are getting the same responses lots of ppl are having w/ Dell. It's either hit or miss when it comes to support and knowledge of the Dell-Ubuntu systems. Please keep us updated on the final outcome. =]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From my experence Dell are very flexable when it comes to Warrenty issues.

Basic rule of thumb is use a Live CD with a partition Image software on it and when you get the comp take an image of the Hard Drive and store it on a Removable USB disk.

If you have to return it to Dell Back up your system and restore the origional image.

But you could just duel boot with Windows (keep it a very small basic install) if you think you'll need Hardware support.

Think warrenty issuse only really apply with Dell, when you start adding / removing hardware
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast