Thread: Mythbuntu 8.04 64 bit system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Mythbuntu 8.04 64 bit system

I have previously been reading a lot about problems Mythbuntu users have experienced in a 64 bit environment. Iím right now looking to get a new system and all processors I have been looking at is 64bit compliant. It would feel good to be able to unleash all the possible power from the cpu. Anyone that knows if the 64 bit issues are sorted out and if itís safe to install a htpc with 8.04 64 bit version? Iím aware that I probably want to wait until the final is out. But has any effort gone in to make it hassle free?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mythbuntu 8.04 64 bit system

What are these problems that you are talking about?

Links?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans
    Distro

Just did a quick search, But looking at your footer I guess you do not second my believes. No one will be more happy then me if I'm able to run mythbuntu without hassle on 64bit system.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=751073
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=746637
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=750204

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm running 8.04 on an AMD 64-bit dual core system right now, and the only problems I have had are with getting Firewire working solid, I don't think that's attributable to the 64-bit system.

Beans

Im also running Mythbuntu 8.04 on a AMD X2 without problems

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by extasy View Post
    Just did a quick search, But looking at your footer I guess you do not second my believes. No one will be more happy then me if I'm able to run mythbuntu without hassle on 64bit system.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=751073
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=746637
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=750204
    Note that two of the threads you posted are from the same person, and that he appears to have not know what he is doing. Now usually that isn't a problem, but people need to ask for help before abandoning everything.

Beans
    Distro

Everyone seems to be using the AMD processor, I'm in the market right now have set my eyes on the Core 2 Quad Q6700, but should I look at AMD instead? My plans was to get the GM45 chip from Intel when it's released ( Q2 2008 ) and use the X4500 gma. But if anyone has a better idea I would be very thankful! According to sources on the net Intel has released alot of specs for their cards to the open source community to improve the drivers and even make them GPL. I like this initiative and think it should be reworded.

Henrik

Beans
    Distro

Everyone seems to be using the AMD processor, I'm in the market right now have set my eyes on the Core 2 Quad Q6700, but should I look at AMD instead? My plans was to get the GM45 chip from Intel when it's released ( Q2 2008 ) and use the X4500 gma. But if anyone has a better idea I would be very thankful! According to sources on the net Intel has released alot of specs for their cards to the open source community to improve the drivers and even make them GPL. I like this initiative and think it should be reworded.

Henrik
    I'm using an AMD X2 3800+. If price is an issue, I would go with the X2, but if you are looking for performance, get the core 2 duo (or quad, or whatever). My C2D whoops my X2 every day of the week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Henrik
    Depends on your $$$$ budget and intended use. For my mythbuntu box (I don't use it for recording tv, only dvd's and music) i went low budget and run 64-bit on a celeron I got for $30 and combined that with an intel essential board ($65) and 2GB or ram.
    I have another Ubuntu system that runs on a core2, it flies, but i don't need that much horsepower for my mythbuntu setup.

EDIT: Also, the 64-bit mythbuntu box is running with no problems, with 8.04 beta....
    Last edited by johnnybirdman; April 17th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Henrik
    Howdy Henrik,
    GM45 (M stands for mobile) will allow you to create an ultra-low power machine that is capable of very high performance. Power drops even more if Intel follows through and we get MPEG2, VC1, and AVC/H.264 hardware decoding assistance in Linux. Having said that, you shouldn't expect great support in 8.04 for a chipset that isn't released yet. Might even have to wait for 9.04.

I'm personally hoping to find a machine based on the new Intel Atom chipset towards the end of the year to use as an HD front-end. It is supposed to also have hardware assistance, although I don't know how forthcoming Linux support for that hardware assistance will be. And I have to find a machine/motherboard that has a 1080i or 1080p HDMI output.

Marc