Thread: Just a couple of non workies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just a couple of non workies

Hi all, having a good xmas?

I've got Virtualbox running XP in my Gusty host. Just wanted to run Steinberg's Wavelab. I got XP installed and now I can't Drag n Drop files from Host to Guest, I told it to share Documents but nothing happens, I drag a folder over let go click and it sails back to Documents by itself. I can't mount any ISO images/ or even the host drive. What have I missed?

Cheers Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Just a couple of non workies

Quote Originally Posted by mikee55 View Post
    Hi all, having a good xmas?

I've got Virtualbox running XP in my Gusty host. Just wanted to run Steinberg's Wavelab. I got XP installed and now I can't Drag n Drop files from Host to Guest, I told it to share Documents but nothing happens, I drag a folder over let go click and it sails back to Documents by itself. I can't mount any ISO images/ or even the host drive. What have I missed?

Cheers Mike
    I haven't tried sharing folders yet, but I can tell you that mounting ISO's needs to be done before booting the guest OS... if the ISO is on your host, that is.

As for sharing the host CD-ROM, make sure you set that up in the guest's preferences before booting.
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Just a couple of non workies

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    I haven't tried sharing folders yet, but I can tell you that mounting ISO's needs to be done before booting the guest OS... if the ISO is on your host, that is.

As for sharing the host CD-ROM, make sure you set that up in the guest's preferences before booting.
    Not quite true. You can attach an optical drive or an iso image while the virtual machine is running. You do not use the preferences window but the cd icon near the lower corner on the right hand side of the VMBox window (the status bar, if you will).
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Just a couple of non workies

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    Not quite true. You can attach an optical drive or an iso image while the virtual machine is running. You do not use the preferences window but the cd icon near the lower corner on the right hand side of the VMBox window (the status bar, if you will).
    Thank you for the correction - I learned something new today. You know, I just thought those were pretty lights down there... seriously
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you for the correction - I learned something new today. You know, I just thought those were pretty lights down there... seriously
    It took me quite some while to find that out, and I found it out only because I was too stubborn to believe that they had left out so basic a function.

Sometimes it helps to look at the Blinkenlights.
    ch

Beans
    Distro

Hi all, Tried all of them, with no joy! On Vista I got to know Mico$oft$ Virtual PC and Vmware products too.Would rather use Vmware.

Cheers Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

you can use vmware on ubuntu too, it just needs to be compiled. and the package in the repo's is broke and has been since october.
    Lenovo R61i
    running ubuntu 11.10 and crunchbang #!
    registered linux user #453656

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Correction to the correction: I just noticed that the very same function is also available by the even more obvious means of the window menu 'devices'.

By the way, they (VirtualBox) seem have to left out the Drag&Drop. No mention of D&D in the fine manual. Lots of other interesting features. No D&D, though.
    ch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Drag & Drop is unstable in VBox, but dead reliable in VMware.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs, 16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP Pro running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Hi all, Im not clever enough yet to Compile, it would be nice though. I just loaded Wavelab up in Wine, but as soon as I get it to except the serial key, the program closes.

Ideas on a postcard, please

Mike