Thread: [SOLVED] virtualbox error - cant load win2k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[SOLVED] virtualbox error - cant load win2k

I can get to load Win2k pro - Virtualbox gives this error message when I click the start button, and before I've loaded Win2k. Need help to resolve.

Thanks

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
    VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).

Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ubuntu = Community = helping one another = Happier people

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: virtualbox error - cant load win2k

You have to do like it says, go to System>>Administration>>Users and Groups. Click manage groups, then scroll down to vboxusers and click it, then properties. Then check off both you and root. Then click ok, close and close. Then logout and back in and you should be all set.
    Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Tteddo: thanks, it took forty odd views and a couple of days before I got some help, which means there is probably others like me, who may have heard about user and group permissions under Linux, but never understood them properly.

So thanks for your help, I followed the instruction and it worked. So now I'm off to learn about permissions.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ubuntu = Community = helping one another = Happier people

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here's a nice explanation of permissions if you like:
    http://www.perlfect.com/articles/chmod.shtml

Please mark this solved under thread tools. I think that puts it in a category that helps it get found by others with similar problems. Well, it helps me when I see a thread marked as solved and it is someone with the same problem as me!