Dear Mythbuntu enthusiasts,
I have managed to obtain the following components:
ASRock ConRoe1333-D667 MicroATX Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.33GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
ASUS Black 2MB Cache SATA DVD±R DVD Burner with LS
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card PCI Interface
2 x Transcend 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (I know this might be overkill, but I managed to get these cheap and all our other computers use DDR, so...*shrug*)
IN WIN Mt. Jade BK623 Case (I love this case!)
200 GB Seagate IDE Hard Drive
I would like to build an HTPC out of these. I have been thinking about trying Linux for awhile, and a friend recommended Ubuntu. So...here I am.
These are the things I would like to do with the system, with the most important being first:
1. My TV will be the monitor. I would like to get the TV Out on the Hauppauge 350 working, if at all possible. I've read varying reports of the feasibility of this, so I wondered if you could tell me if it's possible with the current version of Mythbuntu. If it's not possible, I have a BIOSTAR V7302EL16 GeForce 7300LE I can put in, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.
2. Using the Hauppauge 350, I'd like to be able to record old VHS tapes and preserve them in digital format on the hard drive with a minimum of hassle. Is this possible, or should I be thinking about building a dual-booting machine?
3. I'd like to be able to watch shows in Divx/Xvid and other standard encodings.
4. I'd like to be able to emulate old gaming systems, such as the Atari and the NES. I have a USB device which supposedly allows one to use Playstation 1 and 2 controllers with the computer. I haven't tried it yet, but it would be nice if it worked.
5. I'd like to be able to watch the occassional TV show or DVD.
What do you think? Is Mythbuntu right for me? Once everything is assembled, where would you recommend I begin? I apologize for the Newbie questions - I CAN follow directions, and I'm just looking for a little help getting started. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.