Thread: Ubuntu + WinXP in VirtualBox???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu + WinXP in VirtualBox???

So at the moment I run WinXP alone with Ubuntu Skins and cursors in an effort to feel more comfortable in WinXP. Why do I still have WinXP and not Ubuntu? Well easy anwser is that I like World of Warcraft too much to switch over to Ubuntu. I have been pondering however if I should use Ubuntu and install WinXP in VirtualBox, then install windows games in there. Has anyone had experience in this department?

I was wondering if my laptop (HP Pavillion zv6000) with 1,256mb Ram and AMD64 at 1.99GHZ plus my ATI Radeon 200M Xpress w/ 128 dedicated ram could handle a game such as World of Warcraft in a VirtualBox WinXP under Ubuntu. Obviously I am trying to get the games to run with the same speed and quality as they do in WinXP by itself, otherwise I would run them in Wine which gives me from 5fps-20fps. As far as anyone knows will everything work in WinXP as it does now (after driver install of course)?

If I make this switch I wan't to make sure I can run WoW as well as I can now, otherwise I think I'll stick to my skinned XP until my WoW craze goes away.
    Windows vs. Linux, what you mean there's a doubt?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu + WinXP in VirtualBox???

I think WoW can be used in Linux, see the new Wine subforum for more information.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1922

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu + WinXP in VirtualBox???

On most computers it can, decently. However on mine it runs rather poorly in towns or areas with slight crowdedness. And it is a pain in the backside as well. So I have heard that people with my problems have installed WinXP in virtual box and run WoW that way. So since it sucks in Wine I'm going to try it that way.
    Windows vs. Linux, what you mean there's a doubt?