Thread: Xen won't install in gutsy

Beans

Xen won't install in gutsy

I recently upgraded one of my boxes to gutsy and tried to install Xen Server on it. However the package dependencies are compltely broken so it won't work.

What happened is that all the Xen packages depend on libc6-xen which right now depends on libc6 via:

Pre-Depends: libc6 (= 2.6.1-1ubuntu9)

However a couple of weeks ago libc6 was upgraded to 2.6.1-1ubuntu10 so the dependence fails. Several other packages are broke the same way. There is a bug in launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....1/+bug/161783 but it's been sitting there for 2 weeks with no sign of being fixed.

Any ideas on how to bypass the problem? (without reinstalling)

Beans

Re: Xen won't install in gutsy

Installing via aptitude will offer to automatically downgrade.

Beans

Thanks!

Aptitude worked it out and installed everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I'm considering starting out with a hypervisor and Xen seems to be the way to go; my question is, do I install a base Linux OS just so that I can load the Xen hypervisor which boots into its own smaller footprint kernel or what?
    I've worked with VMWare but, only in the Win32 evironment.
    For this installation, I'm planning on starting from scratch with a fair chunk of server iron to run the hypervisor and at least three other guest OS'.
    Even a thousand-mile journey begins with the first step.
    -
    Fall down seven times, get up eight.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VorDesigns View Post
    Hi,

I'm considering starting out with a hypervisor and Xen seems to be the way to go; my question is, do I install a base Linux OS just so that I can load the Xen hypervisor which boots into its own smaller footprint kernel or what?
    I've worked with VMWare but, only in the Win32 evironment.
    For this installation, I'm planning on starting from scratch with a fair chunk of server iron to run the hypervisor and at least three other guest OS'.
    The Xen Hypervisor Kernel isn't really "cut down". It is more a full Kernel with Xen added on.

So you do an install with as much stuff as you want (full desktop or just a minimal server install) add the ubuntu-xen-server or ubuntu-xen-desktop package to install all the Xen stuff and reboot.