Thread: Choosing a Virtualization option

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Choosing a Virtualization option

So VMWare Server 2.0 beta is out.

I've tried 1.04, and VirtualBox.

I'm new to this, so I'm wondering, theres lots of options, but which one has the best options and features like USB support, do any support 3D accelleration, etc.

basically which ones are furthest progressed in development?

any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Choosing a Virtualization option

There really isn't any "Best" virtualization product. What you can do is try them all, and whichever one works/feels the best for YOU is the one to use.
    3d support ATM is slim to none with all of them. I don't worry about USB support so I can't help you there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Ceemee View Post
    So VMWare Server 2.0 beta is out.

I've tried 1.04, and VirtualBox.

I'm new to this, so I'm wondering, theres lots of options, but which one has the best options and features like USB support, do any support 3D accelleration, etc.

basically which ones are furthest progressed in development?

any help would be appreciated.
    If you've tried them both then you're probably in a better position to advise us of the relative differences! How did you find them?

(I like vmware. It's quality comes across as commercial grade software.)
    Veloce
    Ubuntu 9.04 64bit on Dell Vostro 1510, Core2 Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M , Intel 1395 Wireless.
    OK: Wireless, kvm, Canon irc2880, Synergy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i used my XP vm in VMware to update the library on my iRiver MP3 player, which uses USB ... it's a cinch to use ...
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by veloce View Post
    If you've tried them both then you're probably in a better position to advise us of the relative differences! How did you find them?

(I like vmware. It's quality comes across as commercial grade software.)

Well, I was more talking about the others such as Qemu, Xen, OpenVZ, etc.

So far, I find VirtualBox much faster and more efficient (less of a performance hit) - although I'm having issues getting USB working.

VMWare was more involved of an install (need to build yourself, with a script, but its still not quite as easy) While VirtualBox has a ready made .deb for Gutsy.

I was asking about others because frankly i'm looking for something easy to install that just works. (I know, its linux - and this stuff sometimes needs tinkering. But I'm using Ubuntu, and a fairly recent convert, so its nice to be able to double click and have it do its thing after I put in my password, and just work.)