Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vnc

Beans

Vnc

Hi,

I've enabled the VNC support and entered a password, but I always get a authentification error. I am sure I've entered the right password. With Ubuntu's remote desktop enabled it worked. Have I to add the port or something else?

Beans

Re: Vnc

ok, entered the same password with vnc4passwd and now it just works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by p$y View Post
    Hi,

I've enabled the VNC support and entered a password, but I always get a authentification error. I am sure I've entered the right password. With Ubuntu's remote desktop enabled it worked. Have I to add the port or something else?
    Okay as a quick comparison,

Can you generate a password using vncpasswd by hand, and do a diff on that file versus the one in /root/.vnc/passwd?

It's possible the vnc password generation got broken for us in some regard.

Did you create your password during ubquity installation, or during mythbuntu control centre?

Beans

I don't know if I entered a password during the installation, I think it was later during the mythbuntu control centre. Sorry I don't know hoh to compare the files, I think you would be faster to do this

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by p$y View Post
    I don't know if I entered a password during the installation, I think it was later during the mythbuntu control centre. Sorry I don't know hoh to compare the files, I think you would be faster to do this
    Okay its possible the control centre has this function broken then. (Hope not )

We are doing one last upload for it later today. If you can remove /root/.vnc/passwd, and try to do it once more?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Okay its possible the control centre has this function broken then. (Hope not )

We are doing one last upload for it later today. If you can remove /root/.vnc/passwd, and try to do it once more?
    Well I looked a little closer at the code and caught the bug. In the upcoming upload (0.8-0ubuntu1) this is fixed.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Beans

Hi,

Is it possible that this bug is still around? I tried enabling remote control with a password under the Control Centre, and I'm not able to control my Mythbuntu box remotely. When I check back in the Control Centre, the remote control entry is again set to "disabled."

If I start a vino-session or x11vnc session, I can control the box remotely. I would like to have remote control start up automatically so I can run the box headless (or at least with just a TV connected.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stace

Beans

Okay, I solved part of my own problem. When I would try to enable VNC Service in Control Centre, I would get a small update screen, and then Control Centre would disappear.

By going to the terminal and entering "vnc4server", I discovered that the app wasn't installed, and that the installer was asking for the Mythbuntu Gutsy CD. After putting that in and allowing the instlall to finish, Control Centre shows the VNC Service as enabled, but I still can't connect to it.

I've tried the following, where [IP] is my Mythbuntu box's IP address:

[IP]
    [IP]:0
    [IP]:1
    [IP]::5900
    [IP]::5901

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Stace

Beans

Hello again,

I know it's bad form to reply to my own posts, but I don't want to make anyone retrace my steps.

Here's where I am so far. If I exit Control Centre, open a terminal, and perform "sudo apt-get install vnc4server", then supply the CD for it to install from, everything appears to install fine. If I do "netstat -l", it shows that my box is listening on port 5900, just like it's supposed to. I switch to my XP box, connect to my IP address (with no parameters), and I get a beautiful representation of my current Mythbuntu screen, which is exactly what I want.

However, if I restart the computer, the vnc4server job that's running doesn't hold, not surprisingly, and if I try to start it by running "vnc4server" from the command line, it doesn't start the same. It starts on port 5901, and when I connect to [IP]::5901, I get an ugly grey X server screen, and that's not what I want.

Control Centre does recognize that vnc4server exists now, and allows me to disable (i.e. uninstall) it, but will not enable (i.e. reinstall) it correctly.

So, currently, the only way for me to get the desktop VNC connection that I want is to disable/uninstall vnc4server using Control Centre, then manually install vnc4server from CD, and it's configured correctly upon install. Then, as long as I don't turn off the Mythbuntu box, I can connect from my PC.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing. There has to be a better solution than this to let me access the :0 screen from my inferior XP box!

Stace

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Lytspeed View Post
    Hello again,

I know it's bad form to reply to my own posts, but I don't want to make anyone retrace my steps.

Here's where I am so far. If I exit Control Centre, open a terminal, and perform "sudo apt-get install vnc4server", then supply the CD for it to install from, everything appears to install fine. If I do "netstat -l", it shows that my box is listening on port 5900, just like it's supposed to. I switch to my XP box, connect to my IP address (with no parameters), and I get a beautiful representation of my current Mythbuntu screen, which is exactly what I want.

However, if I restart the computer, the vnc4server job that's running doesn't hold, not surprisingly, and if I try to start it by running "vnc4server" from the command line, it doesn't start the same. It starts on port 5901, and when I connect to [IP]::5901, I get an ugly grey X server screen, and that's not what I want.

Control Centre does recognize that vnc4server exists now, and allows me to disable (i.e. uninstall) it, but will not enable (i.e. reinstall) it correctly.

So, currently, the only way for me to get the desktop VNC connection that I want is to disable/uninstall vnc4server using Control Centre, then manually install vnc4server from CD, and it's configured correctly upon install. Then, as long as I don't turn off the Mythbuntu box, I can connect from my PC.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing. There has to be a better solution than this to let me access the :0 screen from my inferior XP box!

Stace
    There is a bug in the control centre that it wants to install everything from CD (like apt) but doesn't tell you. If you put the CD in the drive before you install it, it should work properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast