Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

Items 1-3 copied from my post in multimedia forum.

1. Guided partitioning: The default seems to be 50% of the drive is used for the OS. Could the default be set to the required space that a Standard Mythbuntu install uses, plus a reasonable safety margin? What is the default Swap size in guided partitioning? is it 2X memory size? If memory is large enough, wouldn't 2X be a waste of drive space?

2. Kernel memory use: Does the standard kernel utilize all available memory or is it limited to 1gig? I read that the standard linux kernel would not utilize all available memory, and one would have to be compiled to use more than that. A followup would be is myth able to use memory above the 1gig limit?

3. LVM support: I'm running a 5 drive system on my master backend. An option to set up a LVM with the EXT3 space on the primary drive and all of the space on the additional drives would be sweet.

4. Possible bug: when erasing all recordings, or the last recording; the system seems to hang on the now empty menu. ESC doesn't return me to the prior level. It takes a forced reboot to get back to operational condition. This has happened several times.

5. Possible bug: after a scheduled recording aborted, the recordings menu reported no recordings at all. System status indicated drive space useage. Reboot recovered recordings. One occurance each of the aborted recording and the temporary loss of all other recordings.

Any estimate of release date?

Thanks for the efforts on Mythbuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

I plan to do a custom partitioning recipe, but it might not make it into the 7.10 release with all of the other items that need to be sorted out still. If someone wants to dive into helping figure that out, that'd be great.

As far as I know, you will be able to use up to 4G RAM with the standard kernels.

LVM: Not going to happen for 7.10, but I want to discuss it at UDS. If you will be there, come join.

What filesystem are you using that you were removing recordings from? If its ext3, then you need to turn on slow writes in mythtv-setup.

Estimates of release date? Right after gutsy release is the plan (barring any extenuating circumstances). We are very near to a beta however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My one issue, which has occured twice:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=564670

Beans

I have a request. Please make EIT an easy option to configure for American cable users. I have found no way to successfully do this in MythDora and have a feeling I'd have to recompile MythTV from source to get it working.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jadfw007 View Post
    I have a request. Please make EIT an easy option to configure for American cable users. I have found no way to successfully do this in MythDora and have a feeling I'd have to recompile MythTV from source to get it working.
    What's wrong with the current EIT setup? Do you have a patch your referring to that needs to be applied to mythtv sources for EIT/cable to work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    LVM: Not going to happen for 7.10, but I want to discuss it at UDS. If you will be there, come join.
    I take it RAID also will not be supported then?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    What's wrong with the current EIT setup? Do you have a patch your referring to that needs to be applied to mythtv sources for EIT/cable to work?
    I wish I could say for sure. From what I've found searching the forums, etc., it sounds like MythTV in MythDora was not compiled with the "-dvb" options which are necessary (I think?) for EIT to work. All I know for sure is I've configured it and re-configured it and cannot get it working.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 said
    What filesystem are you using that you were removing recordings from? If its ext3, then you need to turn on slow writes in mythtv-setup.
    I have been using JSF on my /video partition and this seems to cure the problem.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jadfw007 View Post
    I take it RAID also will not be supported then?
    Well not to say it "won't work", but it won't be configurable in the installer. By doing a derivative frontend of ubiquity we have all the benefits it does of a fast install, but also defficiencies with regard to LVM and RAID.

If you want to do either of these setups (in 7.10) you will need to configure them post install unfortunately.

I wish I could say for sure. From what I've found searching the forums, etc., it sounds like MythTV in MythDora was not compiled with the "-dvb" options which are necessary (I think?) for EIT to work. All I know for sure is I've configured it and re-configured it and cannot get it working.
    We are build with dvb, and i've captured EIT data OTA myself previously. Unless something special needs to be done for EIT/cable, you should be fine.

I have been using JSF on my /video partition and this seems to cure the problem.
    Or Xfs would likely be just as good for such a situation.

Do note, that if you follow the standard storage locations (/var/lib/), samba and nfs get preconfigured for you.

Beans

Smile Re: Mythbuntu Alpha 4 observations / requests

Hi all,

I just attempted a fresh install of Mythbuntu due to a horrible upgrade experience from FC5 to FC7. It did not go well and ultimately I went back to a FC7 fresh install. Here are my comments

Mythbuntu Alpha 4.
    1. No LVM - I have an 80GB and 200GB hard drives. I would have lost almost 1/3 my storage space.
    2. I have an integrated nvidia MX440 video card. "nv" drivers hung the system. I was looking for point and click install from Mythbuntu so I did not spend a lot of time troubleshooting at the time.
    I recently tried a Ubuntu only install on another system with a 7800GT card with the same results. I had to manually change to the vesa drivers then use restricted package manager to install the nvidia drivers. Worked after that.
    3. I have a realtek integrated sound card. I never was able to get any sound using any of the sound systems (ALSA OSS etc).
    2 and 3 are obviously Ubuntu problems since I then tried to do a fresh install of Feisty and install mythtv from apt but had the same "nv" problems. I also tried a fresh install of Gutsy which handles LIRC so much easier but had the same "nv" problems so I abandoned both options. It was a little disheartening to see the same serious install bug migrating through distributions like that. On my other system, I saw a grub problem handling boot order for SATA and PATA drives in the same system also cross the distro boundary.

However, much to my delight and amazement, ivtv worked out of the box as did my bane of all existance, LIRC. Excellent work here! (My install of FC7 and LIRC was once again a nightmare!). Also, one attempt at the Mythbunutu fresh install made it all the way through the mythtv setup before the nv drivers hung the system. Very slick job on the integrating the installation. I am really excited about seeing the next revision!

So my one request besides just getting the "nv" thing sorted out and the sound which are both Ubuntu problems is I specifically HAVE to have LVM and a custom partition ability would be nice as well. Even if I upgrade with a newer bigger hard drive I will just add it to my exisiting system.

Excellent work all and THANKS!
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast