Thread: Post to Twitter from Deskbar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Post to Twitter from Deskbar

EDIT
    I think this doesn't work anymore, because deskbar changed completely. Besides, deskbar regressed so much I'm not using it anymore, so someone else will have to rewrite this...
    /EDIT

Hi all

Just decided to try out twitter, the only problem was that I couldn't find a good tool to use it from ubuntu.
    the only good way I found is this
    http://philwilson.org/blog/2007/03/p...u-deskbar.html
    however, this requires you to compile certain libs installing their dependencies and everything

So I decided to write my own, based on the same idea but using the standard http methods, thus requiring no further installation

EDIT
    use the attached install.sh script instead, download it in the same folder as the archive and run it
    $ bash install.sh
    give your username/password and you're done
    /EDIT

you just need to extract the attached archive in
    /home/YOU/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/handlers
    and open the file and replace the username/password with your own

lots of things are still to be fixed, but it works

Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by reda_ea; February 5th, 2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added installer script

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Post to Twitter from Deskbar

so after the files are extracted to the folder and the TWITTER_USERNAME and TWITTER_PASSWORD are replaced in the python code... what do we do then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

just type something in deskbar and you'll see an entry for twitter
    select it and that's all

you may need to restart your deskbar OR remove the compiled .pyc
    rm ~/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/handlers/deskbar-http-twitter.pyc
    if you put the file in the folder before changing the code

this is still a test version, I'll be working more on this to improve it as I get more feedback about it

EDIT

OR

remove everything and use the installer script I just added : )
    Last edited by reda_ea; September 21st, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Angry It doesn't works...!

There's nothing to do: it cause the Deskbar to crash and automatically deselect two Compiz-Fusion plugins on the window decorator (to move windows)... exactly as the "first" non-HTTP version of deskbar-twitter...

But it could be 'cuz I use the SVN version of python-twitter...? Anyway, this happens on Feisty... because Gutsy doesn't recognize it as a deskbar handler...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hmm. Not working for me. I tried the manual install as well as the install.sh file you created. When I run the install file, it says installation complete, but I get nothing from my deskbar. For the record, the python-twitter that you referenced never worked for me either. And yes, I tried restarting the computer in leu of restarting deskbar (I couldn't figure out how to just restart it). Any ideas? I'd LOVE to twitter from the deskbar!

EDIT:
    I thought I figured it out since you have to use the "modules-2.20-compatible" folder instead of the "handlers" folder, but I'm still getting nothing. It's odd; non of the extensions for deskbar that I've installed will work, so it's not isolated to this one...
    Last edited by Xtopher_Robin; November 3rd, 2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Updated