Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knowit?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    91
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

    Knowit?

    Hi all,

    I'm interested in changing from my existing KDE based distro which works very well, to Ubuntu. One of my more important queries is whether I can apt-get install knowit (I don't mind it there are 100 dependencies attached, it's just important that I get it).
    I've never successfully installed anything from with the prescribed ./configure, make, make install route, so I'd love it to work from synaptic or apt-get.
    Does anyone know?

    Thanks,

    Declan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    91
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

    Re: Knowit?

    I've checked a few lists or packages. I've seen ones called warty universe, and hoary universe, which I understand is where one might look for KDE packages, but I find very few there. It's Knowit I'm particularly interested in, or another knowit-type programme.

    It's a very useful program (for those who don't know it!).
    If anyone with a working, preferably warty ubuntu could type "apt-get install knowit" into their terminal, and post whether it complains of no known package, or what, I'd be most grateful.
    You never know, you might end up loving the thing if you get it.

    Or, an alternate question: is there a knowit type programme for gnome? Knowit is quite good because it allows for rtf formatting, linking with web addresses and other files, and html export. If there's another program that does these same things, I'd be glad to know of it.

    Thanking you all.

    Declan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Prague, Czechia
    Beans
    437
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Knowit?

    Do you run Warty or Hoary?

    Never used Knowit so please bare with. How about this:
    Notecase
    http://notecase.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

    or this:
    gjots2
    http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=172

    or this:
    NoteMeister
    http://notemeister.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

    If you cannot find Knowit in Ubuntu repositories, you may want to download the package from Knowit homepage:
    http://knowit.sourceforge.net/download.html
    "Linux is like a wigwam. No Windows, no Gates and Apache inside!" - Unknown

    RFC 3092 - Etymology of "Foo"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Beans
    91
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

    Re: Knowit?

    Thanks very much P!=F (good name!).
    Actually, I'm not using Ubuntu yet. I've test driven the Warty liveCD, and can see how it would make a good basis for putting together what I need.

    That notemeister looks pretty, and seems to offer similar functionality. I'd use that. Unfortunately, it be a mess trying to export my notes (many) from knowit into that, since it only appears to import in plain text, or in its own format.
    Maybe if it imported html....

    Anyway, thanks for your help.

    The principal question is whether knowit is in an ubuntu repository.

    Thanks again,

    Declan (who's brother is coming back from Prague to Dublin this very day!)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    N63,0056 E21,0248
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Knowit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan
    Hi all,

    I'm interested in changing from my existing KDE based distro which works very well, to Ubuntu. One of my more important queries is whether I can apt-get install knowit (I don't mind it there are 100 dependencies attached, it's just important that I get it).
    I've never successfully installed anything from with the prescribed ./configure, make, make install route, so I'd love it to work from synaptic or apt-get.
    Does anyone know?

    Thanks,

    Declan
    There seems to be a debian package available at:
    http://knowit.sourceforge.net/download.html

    No idea how it works on Warty, but a good guess is it will. May need some KDE libs though...

    BR
    Hashimoto

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Beans
    122

    Re: Knowit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan
    The principal question is whether knowit is in an ubuntu repository.
    No, I do not believe it is. I have all the repositories in my sources.list and "apt-get install knowit" gives me a 'not found ' message.

    You can look for yourself by going to http://archive/ubuntu.com
    and browsing through the pool.

    regards
    Tomy

  7. #7
    nana1431911 Guest

    Re: Knowit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I've checked a few lists or packages. I've seen ones called warty universe, and hoary universe, which I understand is where one might look for KDE packages, but I find very few there. It's Knowit I'm particularly interested in, or another knowit-type programme.

    It's a very useful program (for those who don't know it!).
    If anyone with a working, preferably warty ubuntu could type "apt-get install knowit" into their terminal, and post whether it complains of no known package, or what, I'd be most grateful.
    You never know, you might end up loving the thing if you get it.

    Or, an alternate question: is there a knowit type programme for gnome? Knowit is quite good because it allows for rtf formatting, linking with web addresses and other files, and html export. If there's another program that does these same things, I'd be glad to know of it.

    Thanking you all.

    Declan

    Rewards Cards photosynthesis mapquest memory pollution

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •