Thread: run ubuntu from wubi on external usb hard drive?

Beans

run ubuntu from wubi on external usb hard drive?

I am wondering if it were possible to format an external USB hard drive as NTFS and use Wubi to run Ubuntu from that hard drive?

thx,
    Ray

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: run ubuntu from wubi on external usb hard drive?

probably not possible, since the USB drives are not detected by the BIOS or bootloader, though I may be wrong

but wouldn't it do the job better to format it as ext3 and install ubuntu the normal way onto it? If windows read/writability are the objective, just use EXT2IFS to read/write ext3 from windows: http://fs-driver.org/

Beans

Sorry my understanding of wubi may mean I am talking rubbish but I would like to be able to use wubi as a portable system, so installing on a usb drive would be great. Booting should not be a problem should it as it is just running an exe of the drive? And you can boot live cds off usb drives. But I am not sure if wubi expects the same hardware config each time it boots or whether like a live cd it adapts.

Beans

reply to tux:
    Most modern BIOS's can boot USB, and since they can boot it, grub will support it using the BIOS int13 calls, the only thing that might not support it is linux, depending of if there are any usb modules in the initrd.

I found this to be the same case with RAID.

Beans

This has not been tested, but i think there is everything in the code to install Wubi on a USB drive. Note that the case of an USB stick might be different.