Thread: How about Kubuntu 6.06?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

How about Kubuntu 6.06?

Hi Folks!

I like the idea with ubuntu ce, but I'm a kubuntu freak. Is it possible to use the "convert_me" script on Kubuntu 6.06?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How about Kubuntu 6.06?

Quote Originally Posted by tcv1964 View Post
    Hi Folks!

I like the idea with ubuntu ce, but I'm a kubuntu freak. Is it possible to use the "convert_me" script on Kubuntu 6.06?
    You could "in theory" use the "convert_me" script in Kubuntu. You would first need to install gksudo and gedit. The script adds menu items to the gnome main menu. So you will probably have to manually add them to the KDE menu. The "convert_me" script has been used to convert a users Mepis install successfully. Again, this is UNTESTED! Sorry, I just want to be clear.

Now, if you like the idea of a Christian Ubuntu but you want KDE you could try Ichthux. It is a similiar project that is based on Kubuntu. The Ichthux is made up of Ubuntu developers, and is a true derivative. The Ubuntu CE is different in the sense that it is really a pre-customized Ubuntu. It really isn't a true derivative. This has been a point of much debate. The fact that we do not consider our project a true derivative gives us the ability to do a lot of things that Ichthux would never consider. Such as including a Firefox theme that is free, but not open-source or including Automatix.

I say all of this, not to tell you to use Ubuntu CE over Ichthux. I tell you this so you will know more about the what makes them different. I think the Ichthux project is an excellent project and support it fully.

God Bless, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Re: How about Kubuntu 6.06?

I have installed the Kubuntu desktop after using the convet_me script on my customized Ubuntu install, and I got everything on both. The only difference is that the loading screen after login may not be changed (I don't know for sure). It should work fine.