Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What email accounts do you use?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

What email accounts do you use?

Hey,

So I'm curious as to what email accounts people use. Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Juno (that may be an old one) etc.
    Also what do/don't you like about the one you use?

I'm curious because I use both Yahoo and Gmail but I don't really like how they both work.
    I'd like an email account that I can organize my stuff into folders, but will actually automatically do it!
    I have both set with filters and to move the emails automatically but it NEVER does it.
    Actually I think Yahoo is the only one with "folders", Gmail calls them "Bundles" now.

So if someone could recommend to me an email provider that has that functionality I would love it!
    It really bugs me that NONE of my emails are organized how I want them to be.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What email accounts do you use?

My own. It isn't like we can't have our own email servers for $0-$4/month (or free if your ISP doesn't mind). A micro-instance on Amazon can easily handle email for 20 people.

No need to give up all your privacy for the government snoops by using a large-scale email provider. That seems just crazy to me and defeats the purpose of a federated internet. Centralized = BAD.

If you want a full-scale communications server that does shared folders, shared addressbooks, shared calendaring and/or delegation, there are F/LOSS solutions for that - but running those is a little more involved and requires a stronger server.

I'm completely addicted to Zimbra. It provides server-side filters and server-side tags, so all that time spent organizing email is basically gone. I get 200-400 emails daily and almost all are automatically organized thanks to tagging and virtual folders. It is hard to explain - but it changed my life. Use to use Outlook - I'll NEVER, EVER go back. Zimbra is a hog (java always is), but it has a pretty GUI and is standards compliant for other client program connections. Our zimbra server isn't directly on the internet due to security considerations. Best to have a tiny front-end email gateway that can be completely patched and fully maintained that forwards emails to the zimbra instances AFTER all the spam, AV, and other improper emails are filtered.
    Did I mention the calendaring is amazing?

Oh - and when you run your own server, you have unlimited aliases, unlimited email accounts, and complete control over what can be forwarded or not. Also, you can setup automation like IfTTT with procmail. Been doing that sort of stuff since around 1990. Need to have some job run on another server - send an email - done.

There are so many things that having a Unix-based server/email system can that folks never considered or just never were exposed to thanks to being stuck in desktop think mode. If you have a Linux system - it is a powerful server - why not use it to make life more convenient?
    Last edited by TheFu; July 6th, 2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: zimbra rocks!

Beans

Deleted.
    Last edited by night_sky2; July 12th, 2015 at 02:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have 2 Gmail Accounts. (1 from 2004 (From when Gmail was in beta. :O) and the other from 2012.)

I've been using them for everything. Including Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    My own. It isn't like we can't have our own email servers for $0-$4/month (or free if your ISP doesn't mind). A micro-instance on Amazon can easily handle email for 20 people.

No need to give up all your privacy for the government snoops by using a large-scale email provider. That seems just crazy to me and defeats the purpose of a federated internet. Centralized = BAD.
    I partly use Yahoo but mainly my own service. Evolution Mail for GNOME is a pleasure to use. The free services change all the time, I hate that. When Yahoo Mail was upgraded all sorts of weird things happened with people not able to access contacts and such.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post

I'm not familiar with the Amazon email service that you mention. Could you please expand a bit on how one can have one's own email server?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Amazon email service that you mention. Could you please expand a bit on how one can have one's own email server?

Thanks.
    Amazon provides a VPS. You install and configure an email service like postfix and dovecot.
    Search "postfix dovecot server" for how-to guides.

Or for more security, just use the amazon VPS as an email gateway and forward all inbound email to your house MTA (postfix) so messages aren't left on someone elses' storage more than a few seconds. The micro-server will easily handle either of these needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

At the moment, I use a paid Fastmail account with my own domain ($40 per year). It's an excellent product and I recommend anyone with serious email needs take a look at it.

But, almost all of my mail is self-inflicted spam that I delete on reading, so I don't need that kind of capability. When I get around to it, I'll let the domain expire and switch to one of the freebies.

(As someone who did the homebrew mail server thing years ago, the uninitiated should be aware of what they're getting themselves in to.)

Beans

@TheFu
    Interesting reading. I've learned a lot. Thanks very much.

Beans

2 gmail accounts. An outlook account basically for accessing random websites that require email, such as UF. I don't really use it for anything, only log in occasionally to keep it active and to remove spams.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast