Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows bad?

Beans

Is Windows bad?

Windows may be bad, because it is not opensource, so its code is hidden. But there are thousands of engineers worldwide who knows what is inside Windows. Doesn't this mean it is almost opensource: We endusers may not know what is inside, but there are many eyes watching. Situation seems close to opensource version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Is Windows bad?

Moved to The Cafe.

No. Not even close to open source.

And no, it's not bad. Despite what one loud and self-righteous voice in the FLOSS community may say, there is nothing immoral, unethical or bad about the OS or using it.

And even if Jono Bacon comes out later and apologizes to that voice for disagreeing, I don't feel like I need to when I disagree.

Now, if you want to talk about whether Windows is a good OS in terms of performance, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If it doesn't work for what you want to do, don't use it.

With regard to the company that produces it, well, I'll keep my opinion to myself.
    Last edited by QIII; March 12th, 2014 at 12:55 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Windows ftw! But also Linux ftw and OSX ftw!

*runs and hides*
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If windows is bad, them I'm bad because I use it sometimes.

And, FTR, I heartily agree with QIII.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    If windows is bad, them I'm bad because I use it sometimes.

And, FTR, I heartily agree with QIII.
    That.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Agree -- not bad, in either the ethical or the functional sense of the word.

Maybe there's a bit of discussion about corporations ... like Microsoft, whose greatest good is to make money, and on the other hand FOSS developers, who do it...well, why? Because they need a program and so they make one, or because they want to contribute to the community, or because they are students and crazy about programming. Or just crazy, I don't know!

But my opinions are personal, and not always logically defensible.

Beans

Depends how you look at the situation with getting hardware manufacturers to lock out the competition.

In that sense of being bad ...... would it be seen in a different light if Linux managed to get manufactures of

Hardware to change in such a way that it started to lock out the competition ?

Logical to want a computer to do what we want it to do - the best way it can do it - quickly - efficiently and without

advertizing bloat ..... maybe things are changing on this one though - money changes the way people think about

what it is a computer should do best.

Delivering more links to Music and Games which makes it more of a recreational gadget ......

The question about bad - not really as it did more than anything else to get the amount of users

we see today into computing ....... is it turning bad as it dies a death with Ubuntu now taking

over some of its main functions ........ gaming machine which Linux never really targeted before

this in itself could change the desktop arena.

* ( 2 things stop it ...... graphics cards manufacturers supporting Linux and hardware manufacturers making it simple to add Linux )

Is the cause of these 2 things ethically controlled or has money changed hands to ensure that one firm gets priority - who knows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the engineers you talk about, probably see only part of the code. furthermore from experience in dealing wiht large corporations - oftenly left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing in them. so while someone there may screen the code there is no guarantee that nothing is inserted on final screenign (e.g. backdoors, listening devices and such). there is simply no way to knwo as process is not open and transparent.

a good exampel is for example most governments - though many people see how their funds are used the population usually do not know about each and every purchase. some are even deliberatelly marked as top secret. you would just see how the budget was cut but usually not how it was spent. so this is not opensoruce.

in contrast to this we had a footbal club and a town that went open and registered publicly each and every cent spent. even bill for pencils... (financial difficulties prompted this and this is how they reassured people and investors that the funds are not missused). both flourished after these measures. as investors got confidence in the club while the town governemnt got support from population as they could see how money was spent. and it was spent for the good of the people.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Windows isn't bad or good. Neither is FOSS. It just is.

Some software developers do believe an ethical issue is at stake regarding open access to source code. That's their right. (It's also in their own self-interest, but then, few of us adopt beliefs that we think are contrary to our interests.) But, that doesn't make Windows "bad" any more than the existence of vegans makes meat "bad".

And, the openess of FOSS doesn't make Linux "good".

If someone thinks making software profit is "bad" they do not have to buy it. But, to be consistent, they should also stop shopping for food, clothing, etc.

Bottom Line: Judge software on its merits as software. FOSS says it can deliver better software than the commercial world. We should not cut it any slack. We should not cut the commercial world any slack. Use what works best for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Judge software on its merits as software.
    Yes. Absolutely.

Be aware, however, that the goals of a for-profit corporation may not coincide with your best interests. Selling software is no worse than selling zucchini or shoes. But stealthily dumping herbicide on other farmers' zucchini plants, or blocking the road so their zucchini can't be delivered to market -- these are not in the consumers' best interests. Microsoft and Google, for instance, have both run afoul of the law with regards to unethical business practices.

I guess my own personal view is, corporations have evolved to take your money just as sharks evolved to bite. Software is software, and Microsoft has made some great stuff. But as far as "good" in the sense of "trusted to not screw me over" -- nope. That's a value judgment on the company, though, and not on the software we call Windows, so not really what the OP was asking.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast